Duplicate database

I just read a thread on another forum where someone said their hosting service gave someone else a database with the same name and that site overwrote his files. He said he lost weeks of work. That isn’t possible here, is it? Actually, I don’t see how it could happen. I know DH is pretty good about things like that but I just wanted to check since I’ve got several databases. Has anyone heard of this happening?

TIA,

Hope

I’m pretty sure that isn’t possible here. I’ve accidentally tried a few times and just got a big red error message shot back at me.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

All databases on the DreamHost system must have a unique name for precisely that reason. Even with one-click installs, a unique database name is requested.

Naturally, you should always back up your data in any case. I do a weekly dump, but higher traffic sites probably need to back up on a daily basis.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Is it possible? Sure it is. We’re working with computers here, sometimes they fail. Harsh reality, but it’s true (note the mail/MySQL problems that some have been having).

Is it likely to happen? Not really. I’m sure that DH’s systems are designed well enough that the chances of this happening are next to nothing. Kinda like winning the lottery.

As suggested by Simon, though, if your information is absolutly crucial to you, do frequent back-ups (phpmyadmin - or from shelll access if you kow how to do it) and should something nasty happen, you don’t lose all of your info.

Thanks so much for your replies. I didn’t think this would be something that would happen at DH but I will definitely be backing up just in case. Thanks for the reminder.

Hope