Drupal multisite install?

I’m a newbie who wants to learn how to use Drupal.

I have one DreamHost account and plans for 4 sites with separate domain names, all under the one DH account. The sites are unrelated in topic. I expect low traffic and don’t care about speed.

I just set up a database and installed Drupal, successfully, but within just one of these sites. I did not use the multisite install, which seemed more difficult.

After I learn how to use Drupal on the one site, is it appropriate to install separate instances of Drupal for each of the other sites? Or is it smarter to delete the installed Drupal and start over with a single multisite install? If I should have used the multisite install, will I be able to change Drupal out later after I have added content? Or should I delete it right now and start over?

Thanks.

If you’re using different domains that have different topics, use different installations.

Should a domain become really popular you can then move it to it’s own server account (or PS) with no impact on the others.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m pushing on with content in the first site.

BTW, I also learned since my question that separate installs will also mean I’ll need to perform separate Drupal upgrades in the future. A bit more work if upgrades become necessary, but that’s ok.

The update process for the vast majority of scripts these days (including Drupal) involves little more than uploading the new core files and running an update.php file (after backing up your original directory and database, of course - which is a breeze with DreamHost due to SSH access) :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Great, thanks again.