Dreamweaver

can anyone please help me on this matter.
i can’t seem to connect my dreamweacer cs3 to the database on dreamhost, is there something i need to set up on dreamweaver before doing this? much is appreciated if you could help. thank you

As you haven’t shared what error messages you receive when connections attempts fail, I can’t be certain but in my experience the problem is more often due to a DreamHost account setting as opposed to a DreamWeaver setting.

If you want to connect to a DreamHosted database from outside the DreamHost network, you will need to enable that db user for remote access.

You can do this by editing the user in the “Goodies-> Manage MySQL” section of the web account control panel. Just click the linked “User” under the “Users with Access” column for the appropriate database to edit it, and complete the “Allowable Hosts” section adding from what hosts (computers) the user can connect to the database.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

I’m having the same trouble. Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m trying learn it hands on. The error I’m getting is:
An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found.

I’ve followed your suggestion “Goodies-> Manage MySQL”… and I’m still getting the same error.

Any advice will help.

Actually, that does not sound like the same problem at all, as your error message indicates that the problem is an inability to connect to the FTP server, not the MySQL server (and these are different things altogether).

In your case, you need to confirm the proper hostname to use (either your domain name or yourservername.dreamhost.com, if your domain is not yet reachable via the web), your FTP user name (almost certainly different that your web account control panel login, and the FTP password (again, almost certainly different than your web account control panel login).

If can’t sort these out from memory, review your account welcome email, where this is sent to you. If the problem is a user/password confusion, review your User’s settings in the “Users -> Manage Users” section of the panel (you can “edit” the user to change the password).

As a last resort, use the “Contact Support” section of the account control panel to ask the technical support folks for assistance.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

rlparker,
Thanks for your help. I’m still having problems… I’ll keep trying other ideas and if I can’t figure it out, I’ll contact support. Thanks again for helping.
bjm