Dreamweaver & Wordpress

Hello, this is my first post, I’m new to web publishing. Thankyou for bearing with :slight_smile:

I’ve arranged my domain and hosting with DreamHost.

My content is yet to come, and at this stage I’m experimenting playfully with Wordpress. I’m delighted by how easy it was to install and how pleasant it is to use.

Still, as a former graphic designer for print updating my skills, I’d like to learn Dreamweaver because of its integration with Creative Suite.

Could anyone tell me - if I learn how to create and upload a Dreamweaver site, can I incorporate a Wordpress blog into the Dreamweaver site? Do web designers do that? Is it a common practice?

Many thanks for your advice :slight_smile:
Frances

well you could have your site created with dreamweaver at mysite.com and have your wordpress install somewhere like mysite.com/blog and just edit the theme to match the rest of your site as closely as possible. usually though people who plan on using a content management system tend to use it to power their entire site as you can easily make sections with clean urls. wordpress can be a pretty versatile application (though not as much so as something like drupal but that’s just my personal opinion I suppose).

if you want your content ‘out there’ as quickly as possible go with wordpress (or drupal!) and just play around with dreamweaver and stick it in a subdir or sub-domain if all you are doing is giving yourself experience with it.

Hi Ryo-ohki, many thanks for your support :slight_smile:

I’m glad to know I can edit a themed Wordpress page and install it 'my(dreamweaver)site.com/blog as an option.

Please bear with me, I am not quite sure what the definition of a content management system is. Does it include the storage of captured email addresses, autoresponder activity, data capture, this sort of thing? Is this is people call ‘back end’ stuff?

I understand that Dreamweaver will only help you design a static site. So how do people add content management to a Dreamweaver site if they don’t use Wordpress?

Apols, I don’t understand what you mean by ‘easily make sections with clean uris’ … is that an application?

Really appreciate your advice, thanks so much :slight_smile:
Frances

content management systems(cms) (like wordpress and drupal but there are many many out there) can do a lot of things with the correct modules installed. typically they store site information in a database and have content generated dynamically each time there is a request for content. also yes about the back end stuff :slight_smile:

as for making a site with dreamweaver it depends. you can add your own php snippets and such using it. it just depends on your knowledge of html, css, php, etc. it can be done but you would be reinventing the wheel. a robust cms would have many common features someone would want out of box. it is easy to add and update content and themes are a very convenient way to keep the look of your site the same over various sections (though you can also have sections look different from each other if you want). if you are someone learning the ins and outs of web design but also wanting to already have your site out there a cms would be the best way to go for publishing your content. you can start learning the language of the web at your own pace but i guarantee it will be extremely time-consuming. to someone running their own business time is valuable and you would not want to spend a lot of it coding your website manually. it just isn’t a good use of your time to be doing that.

about clean urls lets say you use drupal (which i love, obviously) to make a page. the actual url would be mysite.com/node/1234 but lets say that page i created i put my about information there. it is simple to make a nice url (also can be called an alias) mysite.com/about but there is not actually an /about/ directory, it just looks like it.

Wordpress support is actually included with DW CS5. Here’s a tutorial:

Editing a WordPress theme with Dreamweaver CS5 – Part 1: Learning the basics

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/dw_wordpress_pt1.html

I haven’t done it yet, but I plan to within the next couple of weeks. Everyone who’s tried it seems to be happy with it. :slight_smile: As for the rest of the info… I’m not smart enough to comment on it!!! :wink:

The trend is to separate content from presentation. I haven’t used Dreamweaver in years and years, but I’d guess that it’s on its way out. Web-houses, like publishing houses, have at least one department focused on layout and design and another focused on content and editing. A CMS focuses more on the later and some do a better job at the former. But other than the basic look of a site, often set up as a theme and created in Photoshop, a lot of the CSS is still done by hand. It’s actually faster that way if you start out with a good framework or base and know what you are doing.

Personally I think good UI/UX people need to know programming as well as be fairly artistic. They need to know at least JavaScript, and a passing knowledge of PHP or a templating derivative would be useful…

I really wish I was as far advanced as that, but I’m simply not. I don’t know what the OP was talking about as far as the context of what she was trying to do, but I’m coming from the perspective of being exactly half of a two-person business. I have the responsibility of designing and putting up the web page, and handling, well, EVERYTHING. If I don’t somehow learn how to do whatever it is, it won’t happen. I do know PS very well, but I have to do EVERYTHING… there is nobody else available to do anything, and we can’t pay for one single thing. For people who are expert programmers and are getting paid… well, I can’t really believe that DW is being pitched to that market anyway. For the rest of us, that’s the reason why it’s there! :wink:

Dreamweaver used to be the one_stop_shop for designing a great static web page. But the web changed, and static pages became the boring pages. Dynamic content and user generated content became the standard. The important metric was not just visits anymore (remember those counters every web page had at the bottom back then??). Companies realized they wanted repeat visits, but why would a user come back if not much changed since there last visit? Server side CMS’s and user generated content were both born, to give users that reason to not only come back to the site, but come back often.

Dreamweaver is still an amazing tool… but you probably don’t use it the same way today as you did 5-10 years ago. Now it’s a tool to “help” generate code, css etc that you combine with other tools and systems to paint the whole picture. A great example of this is illustrated in post #5 above or editing/formatting portions of pages to be used with a CMS or WP.

I can definitely see why this would be true. Not to mention that here’s how the dialog about how the web page went…

Brother: We need to get the web page up.
Me (off to Amazon to get DW CS5.5 The Missing Manual.)
Brother (weeks later) Is that web page up yet?
Me: I went mostly through the book, and realized I needed to know CSS to really make any sense out of how to design the web page. (off to Amazon to get CSS: The Missing Manual.)
Brother: (a little later) What about NOW? Is it up YET?
Me: Here’s the mockup in PS. But NOW it’s saying that I have to learn how to do a dynamic website just to put up ONE form on ONE page!!! I need to get through the rest of the DW5 book… it may be a while…

Do y’all start to see why DW is useful here? :wink: But I really think that for non-experts and non-programmers, they could make the most basic dynamic functions a lot simpler (I don’t need a database! I just need to get the text from exactly one form that people would fill out on one page!) I think that the DW/Wordpress interface makes more sense-- I want a blog for our business instead of a newsletter-- but after that “”""“easy”""" first-dynamic-website experience from Adobe, I’m not sure that I trust them anymore. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m happy to learn, I want to learn, and I’ve been setting aside hours every day to learn. But there’s so much to learn. And a lot of us just don’t know enough yet.

http://formmail.dreamhost.com/

I think you are doing this the hard way. You want a blog? Use Wordpress. It’s not too difficult to customise it. Even just selecting a plain vanilla theme and changing the banner to be your logo is sufficient for most small businesses. I mean, let’s be honest, most blogs receive very little traffic…

Yay! Thanks. :slight_smile: I’ll work on this one.

I’ve ended up getting a lot out of working on this web page (and all associated projects that have cropped up in the process) because I think I’m learning so much. I agree that just using Wordpress as is definitely has got to be easier than trying to interface DW (I already have one WP blog), but I actually would like to at least try something that involves DW here, because I already do have it. Our traffic would be pre-existing and potential customers in this geographical area, and ideally, I’d like to have the same design as the actual printed material they’re mailed every month (which is also on the website. And the signs by the side of the road, and the flyers. And the hot-air balloon… oh, okay, that’s made up. We did try paper airplanes once…:slight_smile:

The only thing DW will do for the inexperienced is let you create a custom theme. If you would just use the one-click install of WP your site would have been up and ready for content to be added by now. Its 2 minute job. I do believe also that WP has the ability to have contact forms and such (I know Drupal does… so I assume WP would have something like that too). The worst thing you can do in terms of time management is trying to reinvent the wheel. Get the site up and your content out there first. Then worry about having a custom theme. There are also many free WP themes available. I am sure you would find one out in the wild that would suit your needs.

It is nice to want to use what you have but since you have no experience with it to begin with and someone else is relying on you for business purposes, my personal opinion is you should stop screwing around and get the job done in the most efficient way possible. Your personal preferences on wanting a learning experience with DW needs to be done on your own time on a sub-domain for development purposes.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to spend time working with Dreamweaver, and this is from an old print graphics person too, is Adobe has seemed to connect it now with authoring for small devices, here:
http://phonegap.com/
Very interesting when I saw that.

I recommend lynda.com instead. Having that plus a very good reference book on CSS should put you in very good stead. I recommend not learning Wordpress right now until you have a very firm grasp of CSS, and until webapphelp.com is back up and running.

Lynda.com is a video tutorial library. They have tutorials on Dreamweaver, which includes enough CSS to get you up and running, and in-depth CSS tutorials when you’re ready, and also wordpress tutorials when you are ready for that.