Dreamweaver upload problem

I’m a small business owner that had a friend build our website. He no longer helps with the site. I’m able to go into d/w and add/change stuff, but when I connect to server and “put files” to site, it doesn’t change the website. Could there be a “lock” on the server? I really just want to be able to change numbers and picture/update our site. Thanks, Billy

No, nothing like a lock. If you update a file it should be used immediately . Perhaps your local browser is caching the page? try forcing a refresh (most windows browsers that’s Ctrl-F5)

If that doesn’t get it then the files may be ending up in the wrong place on the server.

I tried the refresh, but still no change. If I’m connected to the server, where could the files go besides the server?[quote=“LakeRat, post:2, topic:56041”]
No, nothing like a lock. If you update a file it should be used immediately . Perhaps your local browser is caching the page? try forcing a refresh (most windows browsers that’s Ctrl-F5)

If that doesn’t get it then the files may be ending up in the wrong place on the server.
[/quote]

It’s possible the files are going to the wrong place on the server.

When you log in via FTP normally you will default into that users HOME directory. example /home/username/ (where username is the actual username) If you are uploading to this directory that is mostly likely wrong.

A directory should exist for your domain name /home/user/domainname.com that you should change into.

The above assumes that you are using the correct FTP user for the domain. You can verify which “user” controls a domain by looking on the manage domains page of the panel.