Dreampress + Git advice / questions

wordpress

Hello all!

New to the forums (and Dreamhost in general), but basically I’m working on developing a child theme for one of my client’s wordpress site, and I thought it would be pretty beneficial to use Git as I develop it. Someone else might need to inherit the code base of the theme one day, or one of my other co-workers might jump on the project after the first version of the site launches.

However, I’d have to bug my client for login credentials to Dreampress, and before I do, I would like to know be sure that this is the right choice. So I’m curious about the experiences of git paired with Dreampress:

[b]
Is it worth the trouble of setting up Git with Dreampress?

What experiences have you had paring Git with Dreampress?

What can I expect when trying to add new users to the project?

Does anyone know why Dreamhost does not recommend creating your git directly in the child theme’s directory?
src: (in step 5 of their Git + Dreampress guide)
[/b]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome aboard!

Oh, yes! Having git will save you a lot of headaches while you’re working on your code.

I’ve done it a few times following the guide you described. I’ve developed simple plugins and themes. The guide is straightoforward and easy to follow (at least for me).

Happyness? :slight_smile: Seriously though, I’m not sure what you mean…

Because you need a bare git repository if you want to share your git repo with other users. See the answer on SO if you’re curious https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7861184/what-is-the-difference-between-git-init-and-git-init-bare

So the best process is to create a bare git on DreamPress instance and from there, push the files into the proper themes/ folder.

Have fun and let us know how it goes :slight_smile: