DreamPress 2: Access to Mysql & Running Piwik

wordpress

I am considering the DreamPress 2 “Optimized WordPress Hosting” package with DreamHost. I am quite experienced with WP and like to have control over the WordPress install. My understanding is that DH is running their own easy to use “DreamHost control panel” which is different from cPanel that has a lot of useful tools.

I would like to know if you have access to MySQL, so that you can import/export databases for example? If not access to PHPMyAdmin?

Also can I run Piwik Analytics or any other third party web applications?

Thanks very much,
Chiappa

Hi Chiappa,

We do have access to MySQL databases which you can access with phpMyAdmin. Also you are welcome to use third party applications as well. For more information you can see our help page here: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214395638

Thank you for the answer. That does sound great. Because some other WordPress dedicated and managed hosting plans are a bit too dumbed-down for my likes. DreamHost sounds like a good in-between solution for control and out of the box stability and optimization.

Looking very much forward to trying it out!

The only downside I see is that Piwik would need separate hosting. I don’t use DreamPress, but it doesn’t look like it allows you to install another web instance such as Piwik.

Hmm. Is there a mention about that somewhere?

If I have full access to MySQL as well as FTP/SSH. I don’t really see what could stop me from installing and using Piwik. Unless it would be blocked somehow.

Thanks very much for pointing this out to me. Perhaps it’s just being disallowed by terms of use.

[quote]What other applications can I host on DreamPress?
Only a single installation of WordPress is supported with DreamPress. No other applications are allowed. If you require other applications to be ran under the same URL, a standard VPS plan is a better fit.[/quote]

So time to explore VPS!