DreamObjects with Joomla site and audio files

dreamobjects

Hi all,

Not sure I really understand how this all works but I thought I’d ask a few questions to see if I can get started with DreamObjects. Was going to use S3 until I saw this so thought I’d give it a try first.

What I need to do is serve up MP3 files (30+ GBs) for a subscriber/password protected Joomla site. So what I’m wanting to do is make it so a user signs in to their account at our Joomla powered site. They then can download/stream the MP3 files. * But I don’t want them to be able to access the files without signing in first.

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this while storing them on DreamObjects?

I’m not a major web programming guru.

Thanks in advance!

• We hold the copyright to these MP3 files.

Yes, but it will involve some significant software development work.

When a file is uploaded to DreamObjects and set to NOT have public-read access permissions, you can allow a user to download the file by giving them a “signed” URL. The signature on this URL can contain an expiration date, so that it doesn’t last forever.

Probably the easiest way (and I use this term loosely) of going about this would be to get started with the Amazon Web Services SDK for PHP. The S3 component of this library is compatible with DreamObjects, with the exception of a few oddball features we haven’t implemented yet (like BitTorrent downloads). Example code for using this library with DreamObjects is available on docs.dreamobjects.net.

The tricky part, of course, will be integrating this with Joomla. This part I have little familiarity with.

Try finding some plugin for S3 and Joomla. After that you could edit the file that connects to S3 using DO URL and it works.

Ok, thank you for the ideas. I’ll see how I go. :slight_smile:

There’s also this: http://undesigned.org.za/2007/10/22/amazon-s3-php-class

It’s an S3/PHP … well you can read it there. It’s smaller and lightweight, and if you’re just uploading and downloading, pretty nice.

I forked it - https://github.com/Ipstenu/dreamobjects-s3-php-class - to work with DreamObjects, which really was just editing the server info.