Dreamhost Wiki - Problems staying "logged in"

I was trying to make a few contributions to the DreamHost Wiki this evening, and am having a terrible time staying logged in.

It seemed that every time I logged in, all was well for a few minutes, but every time I visited a “special page”, and then went pack to a “regular” page, I found myself no longer “logged in”, with only my IP address displayed at the top of the page instead of my user name.

Does the DH Wiki Start/Stop sessions depending upon where the user is or what he/she is doing in the wiki? The only reason I ask is that it seems (I have not completely tested it yet) that the problem goes away if I check the “Remember my password across sessions” box.

I’m used to having a session last as long as the browser is open and there is activity (though I have seen “timout” termination of sessions on other sites - just not went actively surfing around the site)

Am what I am seeing just “mornal” for the DH Wiki, and/or is there something I’m missing here?

–rlparker

Just tried this with logging in but leaving ‘remember me unticked’ went to special pages|preferences and was logged out like you. Went back to login and entered password and then ticked the remember me box. After log in went to the offered special|preferences page and log in across pages seems okay now.
I used a new browser window rather than a tab (by mistake) but do not know if that was vital.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Thanks, Norm!

That seems to confirm what I found. It is not a major problem, but I suppose it could pretty frustrating to a new “wikier” (That’s French, you know, for “One who wikis”).

I’m not sure every user would screw around with it enough to find where it seems to happen, most would just say, “It keeps logging me out”.

I appreciate you taking the time to check it out, so I didn’t think it was just me, or my browser settings/config, etc.

–rlparker

It is an odd way to do it. I just wonder if it is one of these privacy things where they (the wiki developers) do not want to force a cookie on people. Perhaps a line needs to be added to the login page to explain that to stay logged in you need to select the ‘remember me’ box.

They seem to mean ‘across pages’ when they refer to ‘across sessions’ whereas most people would think of web browser sessions.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

I agree it does seems and odd way to do it.

Yep, or maybe they are referring to PHP sessions, as opposed to browser sessions (you know programmers!), and something in the coding logic of the wiki code “breaks” the PHP session in the circumstance we are talking about.

Either way, I think it is confusing to the user. That “Remember me…” box is almost always used in the context of “Remember Me on this computer”, which is a very different thing altogether, being (usually) a cookie, as you mentioned.

–rlparker