Dreamhost Whois Proxy

I’m looking at signing up,but not thrilled about having my details splashed across Whois etc.

I noticed that Dreamhost have a service where you can use their proxy and have their information put in, instead of your own.

I’ve gone to sign up and I have to put my personal details in, and the privacy policy says that the information I enter there will be used in the Whois database…

…confused.

I obviously will need to enter my personal details no matter what, because if there is a problem, DH will need to contact me, but what about the Whois proxy function? Does that part come later on? Does anybody here use it?

(Also, I don’t have a .com yet, I’m getting it through DH)

You need to give your details, then activate the proxy on the panel.
Alternatively, you can sign up with dreamhost and reg your domain after, when you want, and choose proxy on registration process,
if you don’t want to have your infos in the whois for a single second :slight_smile:

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

awesome, thank you very much!

So I have signed up, but I don’t know how to activate that service.

I’m the control panel now - and confused.

1. If you’ve already registered the domain, it should show up in the “Domains>Regisrations” part of the control panel.
  2. If you click on the domain name in the list, it will show you the whois information that is currently being published.
  3. At the bottom of this screen is a button labeled “Modify WHOIS Info for yourdomain.tld”.
  4. If you click on that button, there will be a section labeled “Whois preference:”. In that section you can either choose “Use DreamHost’s free WHOIS privacy service” or “Or, use your own contact info”. Obviously, you want to choose the former and sign up for the privacy service!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thankyou!

Sorry for my annoying questions, this is my first website (can you tell? lol)

No apologies necessary! We’ve all been there with our first website. It’s an exciting time and we just want to make it as painless as possible.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts