DreamHost VPS

The feature sounds like it could be useful for sites that have a bit of trouble under the standard settings.

This feature really seems to have popped out of almost no where very quickly without much talk on the beta forum.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Yes, some site like marketplace site or classified ads ?

[b]1 FREE IP + 1 FREE DOMAIN FOR LIFE with [color=#CC0000]1IPPLUS1DOMAIN[/color] promo code SIGN UP NOW

Well, I imagine any suffciently high-load dynamic site would qualify. We could probably do a survey of posts here from people who’ve complained about getting into trouble for CPU usage to get a good idea of good application candidates. :slight_smile:

The candidates that I see are forums, WordPress sites with lots of dynamic plugins, and MediaWiki.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I’m thinking a SEO link site. (grin)

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

So why does that feature of Dreamhost’s need its own separate domain, instead of a logical subdomain of dreamhost.com, anyway?

– Dan

I was going to answer your question here… but I think it would be easier if I register MyAnswerToDansQuestion.com and post it there instead. :smiley: :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Maybe since they have to register the domain anyway to prevent someone else from doing so and using it in ways DreamHost doesn’t approve of, they figure they may as well use it?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Can’t wait to hear any good sharing for this. I just come out with other post about MediaTemple’s grid hosting. Is it a same kind of technology ?

[b]$77+1domain=SIGN UP with 77PLUS1DOMAIN or MAKEIT97 for $97 OFF

No, the two are completely different.

Grid hosting involves having a cluster of servers all able to serve up the pages for a single website. The load between the servers is load balanced.

As Mikka references, DreamHost PS uses Linux VServer, which is a server virtualization technology. This is all about accounts being tied to a “dedicated” virtual server. So you get what amounts to a server-within-a-server all to yourself.

Here are Wikipedia articles on the two technologies:

Clustering
Virtualization

[quote]Grid hosting involves having a cluster of servers all able to serve up the pages for a single website. The load between the servers is load balanced.

As Mikka references, DreamHost PS uses Linux VServer, which is a server virtualization technology. This is all about accounts being tied to a “dedicated” virtual server. So you get what amounts to a server-within-a-server all to yourself.

Here are Wikipedia articles on the two technologies:

Clustering
Virtualization[/quote]
Ah… Got it :wink:

Thanks Lensman !

[b]$77+1domain=SIGN UP with 77PLUS1DOMAIN or MAKEIT97 for $97 OFF

does anyone know what the expected wait time is for those on the beta wait list, as well as the full service rollout?

Yeah, sign me up. Then when DH’s network goes down (as it invariably does every 6 months or so) I can think of all those dedicated CPU cycles that I’m still getting!

I signed up almost immediately after seeing the first post and have just gotten switched over. I still have a few glitches that I’ve had to work around but will report back when I get everything up and running again.

I signed up to that offer, but after a few days I cancelled it, because I was afraid about I could be missing all of those nice different IPs (I’m thinking from a SEO perspective) that DH offers.

Is it that way? When you pass to a VPS solution, will all of your domains pass under an unique IP, or you can choose which one have to be “VPSized”?

All your sites go on your private server. You get one IP, but can buy additional ones.

I was just wondering… how much do people purchasing the 15$ package actually earn in the sense of CPU and RAM. How much RAM / CPU is a normal shared user guaranteed as a minimum and maximum?

Umm, isn’t the minimum zero?

I’ve also gleaned from some other posts that your processes get targeted by the process killer if they go above 100MB. This is different from the 150MB guaranteed minimum memory for your private server.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

How long does it usually take to get it set up? I believe I requested it through my control panel at least a month ago, probably longer.

I posed a summary of related threads in this other thread a week or so ago.

We have no actual information about this and no one has posted recently saying they got switched over and when they signed up, so it looks like there might be a long queue. There was the one post saying that after submitting a support ticket regarding some problems on their server, they got moved over to a PS server since they were waiting in the queue anyway.

If you do submit a ticket and find out how long the wait is, let us know!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

And please let us know the big difference if any :wink:

I’m curious yet no exact informations from customer about this service that I’ve heard :frowning:

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $97 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !