DreamHost VPS

In case you haven’t noticed, DreamHost has just launched DreamHost VPS (Virtual Private Servers).

The solution gives each user a “virtual machine”, thereby protecting the users CPU and RAM from other users on the same machine.

The service is an add-on to your existing account and prices start at $15/month. The cool thing is you can scale as you go, and increase your CPU and RAM levels at any time.

More info:
http://www.dreamhostps.com/
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=vserver.provision
http://blog.dreamhosters.com/2007/08/02/dreamhost-private-servers/

[color=#000000]DreamHost Promo Code[/color]: [color=#CC0000]Save $50[/color] with the promo code DREAMTEAM

It’s great if you need a lot of space/bandwidth mot not a lot of cpu/ram :slight_smile:

How can i get an invitation ?

EDIT : ok i didn’t saw you can get it from panel, i just subscribe, i’m in the waiting-list.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

i loved it!
dreamhost keeps surpreending me every day!

but i think would be better if we could choose the cpu and ram separetly…

Code: “SPW95” - $95 off

This is very nice!

I wonder if this really does guarantee that you can’t be shut down by CPU hogs on your server? If so, I’m getting this just for the better uptime!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I would get it just for consistency of service. I’ve had my gallery database moved around and always notice differences in response times. Lately, it’s on a downward trend.

[quote]This is very nice!

I wonder if this really does guarantee that you can’t be shut down by CPU hogs on your server? If so, I’m getting this just for the better uptime![/quote]
That’s exactly what I was thinking, if people on the server can still burst up to the max cpu speed, I wonder what affect that has on another account that all of a sudden wants a large chunk of CPU time.

All I’d need is the minimum cpu and ram, since my sites aren’t overly busy or processing heavy, but if it can guarantee me that someone else on the server can’t for all intents and purposes kill my sites while their number crunching goes on I’m in.

Web Hosting Reviews | Miracle Directory

What I’m guessing that they’ll do is put a certain number of VPS’es on each physical server up to some percentage allocation of the original server. They’ll do this by painstaking simulation and mathematical analysis involving either number theory, set theory, stochastic calculus, or maybe just algebra and decide on a percentage somewhere around 50%. (j/k)

Now people really have to do some thinking and performance analysis to figure out what the loads are on their sites and how much dedicated CPU and memory they need to handle this. This is brilliant!

I do wonder how the “burst memory” works, though. Maybe the blog post will point us to a technical implementation paper or something. :slight_smile:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

More technical information can be found in http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org

Fascinating reading. Thanks miikka!

What I’m interested in finding out is whether one can end up worse off with DreamHost-PS.

From the description of the CPU limit implementation, it seems unlikely that you could end up worse off, as long as the unlikely combination of DreamHost configuring the servers close to 100% with all your neighbors using close to 100% of the CPU. (I find my server to be mostly lightly loaded)

The memory limit implementation seems to have more potential to be problematic for a DreamHost-PS customer.

If your purchased limit is the Resident Set Size (RSS) hard limit (unlikely), there are many situations where you’d be worse off.
If your purchased limit is the RSS soft limit (likely), there are not many situations where you’d be worse off.
If your purchased limit is the Address Space (AS) hard limit (unlikely), there are many situations where you’d be worse off.
If your purchased limit is the AS soft limit (likely), there are not many situations where you’d be worse off.

But if they’ve used only the soft limits, it’s unclear how they can guarantee memory to customers. It also seems that even with soft limits, since the report memory is smaller than physical memory, there’s a chance that you wouldn’t be able to allocate as much memory if you’re well-behaved and observe the limit. OTOH, you’d be less likely to trigger an actual OOM or paging situation. At any rate, it’s still unclear to me exactly how bursting would apply to memory.

One thing I haven’t seen considered is the effect on users not using the PS service.

If the private servers are on the same servers as the standard accounts how would this affect others on the same server. Would they end up with less resources available?

Or are these servers going to be moved to new servers, after all they did recently consolidate some racks to free up space http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2007/07/30/rack-consolidation/.

$97 DISCOUNT with [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color]
More codes

Can you run things like a shoutcast server in these machines??

Thx!

As always, the definitive answer would have to come from support, but everything I’ve have read indicates you may run a shoutcast server (you will have permission to run it).

There is still the consideration of how much memory/CPU to devote to such a server, and that is directly related to whether or not you can run it (effectively).

The number of streams/listeners etc. would still be limited to the resources available to you on your machine/plan, but at least if you “killed” it, you would only kill yourself so there is nothing to stop you from running it into the ground. :wink:

–rlparker

[quote]One thing I haven’t seen considered is the effect on users not using the PS service.

If the private servers are on the same servers as the standard accounts how would this affect others on the same server. Would they end up with less resources available?[/quote]
According to the blog entry, you account is moved to a new server with other PS customers - and is easily moved between boxes so they can accommodate changes in how many resources you’re requesting.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

If anyone have registered for this feature can you please share back to this forum ?

[b]1 FREE IP + 1 FREE DOMAIN FOR LIFE with [color=#CC0000]1IPPLUS1DOMAIN[/color] promo code SIGN UP NOW

Consider this as a second request.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

A second request for what, people to announce that they’re on the waiting list?

A second request for reports of experience with the service.

Obviously I could sign up for it and find out for myself but I simply don’t have any sites that would benefit from it - yet.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

[quote]A second request for reports of experience with the service.

Obviously I could sign up for it and find out for myself but I simply don’t have any sites that would benefit from it - yet.[/quote]
Yeah, I was just wondering if you were repeating the previous request which I pedantically take to literally be a request for people have requested the feature, not who have a DreamHost-PS account (which is what you’ve requested and which would make more sense).

The feature sounds like it could be useful for sites that have a bit of trouble under the standard settings.

This feature really seems to have popped out of almost no where very quickly without much talk on the beta forum.

Yes, some site like marketplace site or classified ads ?

[b]1 FREE IP + 1 FREE DOMAIN FOR LIFE with [color=#CC0000]1IPPLUS1DOMAIN[/color] promo code SIGN UP NOW