Dreamhost - still just a dream?

I’ve been a dreamhost customer for about 6 months now, and have been trying hard to like the service. It promises so much, but the actual reality of things falls a little below my expectations. Now, I understand that I cannot have the same expectations of a $8 service, compared with a $20 service, but I’m a little confused now about what kind of expectations I should have of Dreamhost.

For example, what kind of server load should I EXPECT from a Dreamhost server? My server (tab) is constantly above 4, and often above 10. Is this to be expected, or not?

Also, I hear that the filesystem is mounted to the servers via NFS. I’m no UNIX guru, but it seems like that is a very inefficient way of serving files. I also hear that this is the reason why Gallery 2 is so slow, rather than server loads per se. Also, I frequently have 20 second waits before my blog is served (now hosted at A Small Orange, BTW). So, should I expect slowness from Dreamhost? Is slowness a consequence of the way Dreamhost is designed?

So, I know my expectations must be lower with Dreamhost due to the low cost. But how low?

It depends on the server, some are dual core, some are quad core, but anything less than about 2 is good.

[quote]
Also, I hear that the file system is mounted to the servers via NFS. I’m no UNIX guru, but it seems like that is a very inefficient way of serving files. I also hear that this is the reason why Gallery 2 is so slow, rather than server loads per se. Also, I frequently have 20 second waits before my blog is served (now hosted at A Small Orange, BTW). So, should I expect slowness from Dreamhost? Is slowness a consequence of the way Dreamhost is designed?[/quote]
I’m no UNIX guru either, but I have read that NFS is ok up to a certain point, beyond that it can become inefficient, at what that point NFS becomes inefficient is unknown to me, maybe someone else knows more.

I can understand your frustration, I am suffering the same frustration of late, my faith in Dreamhost ever getting things back in order is waning. I’ve already started looking at other providers just to get an idea of what is out there, and at this point in time I’m thinking of buying a hosting account elsewhere and moving some of my sites to the new host just for comparison purposes.

Web Hosting Reviews | Get Around The Net Directory

Your $8/month does actually entitle you to ask to be moved to a different file/database server.

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!

I’m having the same problems. I have Gallery G2 & Joomla running on different sub-domains & I’m getting complaints from people about long rendering times.

Later, TODDMAN
www.toddman.org

I fell the exact same way. I’ve been here for almost a year and there have been ruff times.

I wonder how popular they would be if it wasn’t for the coupons and the huge space. And that’s wonderful in the beginning, but then you start thinking what could you get out there if you were paying $20…

I’m also beginning to think my server is on the slow side. As somebody suggested me, I installed a cron job to log the uptime command.

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=73874

It’s been 4 days, and my average is above 5. My 15 minute average has some absurd numbers like 81! (max being 105 for the 1 min avg).

I’m beginning a Joomla site and the speed doesn’t seem acceptable, even without much research.

I guess I would’nt care to pay much more for realiability and speed.

It would be interesting to see how some other companies compare. There’s all kinds of benchmarks for computers, what about for shared servers?

Use promo code US97OFF to get maximum discounts!
Use o código de promoção US97OFF para descontos de até US97!

[quote]
I’m having the same problems. I have Gallery G2 & Joomla running on different sub-domains & I’m getting complaints from people about long rendering times.

Later, TODDMAN
www.toddman.org[/quote]
I thought I was having problems, but your sites really seem to be crawling!

That’s not enough time to evaluate a host. I’ve been a member for more than three years now, and DH has had their ups and downs like ALL hosts have.

People need to realize that they’re stationed in LA, which is in California, the state noted for frequent power outages and storms that cause those outages. It always takes an abnormal amount of time to fix things because once one thing is fixed, something else is tripped usually and needs fixing.

It’s like Dominos! :slight_smile: Anyway, $8 a month is nice, I just rely on Google’s AdSense program to pay my $120 a year bill ($100 of it), so it’s not so bad. $20 a year gives me no right to complain about a few short hours of fixing, while getting frequent updates.

Better than being left in the dark. Eh, if DH is totally down, Google searching blogs for News will give you some cached information about what happened (like the thing that happened last weekend.)

Anyway, that’s all I have to comment about. Be grateful, not stubborn about such a nonrobotic host. :slight_smile:

I know that’s not enough to evaluate a host, and I wouldn’t even know what it takes to have a more objective analysis. That’s why I asked about a benchmark tool, and I know it would have to run for a while before we could have some results.

And I agree that we get our money’s worth for $8. Heck, I’m in my first year, that’s more like $3! What I’m beginning to realize is that I need to start paying $20, or probably more to get the level of service I’m in need (99% uptime would be nice, a faster cpanel…)

What am trying to assess at the moment is this: Have Dreamhost been really out of luck lately (mainly because their building problems) or they are a really budget hosting service not to be compared to a $20 host?