Dreamhost should be ashamed of themselves

I’m sorry, but there is no excuse for this downtime. I’ve been with a lot of hosts in the past 10 years or so but have never seen as much downtime as this. So far, the entire time I have been with you I have had nothing but sporadic uptime and lots of downtimes like what is going on now.

What really irritates me is this is going to cost me who knows how much money to have to move back to another host…and who knows how much time that will take to move my files… and then there is the 2 days of DNS propagation, etc.

Well, I’m gonna stop talking and put my moving plan in action. Thanks for nothing!

I’m doing the same. Currently waiting for the DNS to resolve to my new host.

This is seriously the worst excuse for a web host I’ve ever seen. and I’ve been with various web hosts for around 10 years now. this is unacceptable.

Sorry folks. Every time there is a problem everyone starts to whine and blame and in general downtalk the host. I for one am happy with Dreamhost. I came here from 1and1 as a host. my websites have been down ONCE in the almost year that I have been here. Even now my sites are all up and running, although I cannot access the control panel. This will be solved. Keep working on it guys, and thanks for the best hosting experience I have had since I hosted my own site on this box :slight_smile:

-HAPPY Dreamhost customer.

P.S. Putting the support page somewhere else would lead to TONS and floods of reports and so forth over a problem they already know about, costing them more time in fixing the actual glitch. dreamhoststatus.com is up, try looking at it.

-y0himba
I am a happy Dreamhost customer.
y0himba.net | Online Status

You’ve got to be joking. What about back when California had the heat wave and power problems? Did your sites go down then? Are they down now?

I think you work for dreamhost… either that or you have never hosted anywhere else and don’t know the difference.

I’m pretty pissed off… as Dreamhost has now officially screwed up my weekend plans.

THANKS DREAMHOST!

I’ve been completely disatisfied with the service from dreamhost. I was going to drop dreamhost and get a refund but then found out that I couldn’t with paypal and since I was too busy to deal with changing hosts at the time I just left things. This has been a problem for my business though and I’ll be switching my site to a new host just as soon as I can login to make a new backup of my database. This service has been ridiculous. They always have an excuse for things that have gone wrong. I can’t see how so many bad things could possibly be out of their control. My site has been down more times than I can count and my email has been inaccessable even more than that!

Nope, my site are up and running. 3 domains and all the subdomains. POP mail is sending and recieving fine. Matter of fact, click my sig and you are on one of the domains. I got the notification of the reply through my Dreamhost mail.

When the power problems happened was the one time my site was down for any length of time.

-y0himba

y0himba,

What are your web sites?

Uh, click my sig for one. I have two more and they are all up.

-y0himba

Shame on Dreamhost. My site has been going down intermittently for weeks now, at the same time that other users say they have no problems. There is no excuse for such poor performance. Ah, but they say they will have the problems solved Real Soon Now. They’ve been saying this for several weeks, and the problems are just getting worse.

I guess this is acceptable… Its just frustrating that it seems to happen when I get a new site running.

Since: March 13, 2006
Outages: 9
Total Uptime: 99.644%
Year Outages Uptime
2006 9 99.644%

Year Month Outages Uptime Downtime
2006 September 2 98.404% 1.596%
2006 August 0 100.000% 0.000%
2006 July 1 99.861% 0.139%
2006 June 1 99.433% 0.567%
2006 May 2 99.720% 0.280%
2006 April 3 99.288% 0.712%
2006 March 0 100.000% 0.000%

I’ve been with DH since January '05, and in that time, I can recall two (maybe three) periods of downtime that annoyed me. Is that reason to leave? In my opinion: of course not. I pay $9.95/month for web hosting, which I don’t feel gives me the right to bitch about my site being down for more than a few minutes 2 times a year. Especially when it works so well the rest of the year.

Before DH, I was paying twice the money for around a third of the service and features.

P.S., I think if you’ve got a problem with DreamHost, it’s probably because you’re not on the vito server. lawl

Stephen Harper

You jinxed it! As of 2 minutes ago, your site does not load…how’s that for timing :wink: !

edit: in fact, neither http://www.linneberg.com/ or http://www.stephenharper.org/ will load - both report "Unable to Connect -

–rlparker

I’ve been with DH since January '05, and in that time, I can recall two (maybe three) periods of downtime that annoyed me.

I, and most others here seem to be annoyed when small, trivial things like, oh, mail, http or panels are unusable for days at a time. I guess we’re just thin skinned.

[quote]You jinxed it! As of 2 minutes ago, your site does not load…how’s that for timing !

edit: in fact, neither http://www.linneberg.com/ or http://www.stephenharper.org/ will load - both report "Unable to Connect -

–rlparker[/quote]
UH OH, I BETTER SWITCH HOSTS LOL

You’re right. That would be annoying. But since this is the first time since Jan '05 that my sites have been down longer than a day, I think I’ll reserve judgment on it for now.

Stephen Harper

stevenharper.org ping statistics —
37 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

GiraffeDesign.com

That’s hardly conclusive, since stevenharper.org is not my site.

Stephen Harper

doh! sorry for the typo. you are correct… site still doesn’t load, however.

GiraffeDesign.com

It’s very, very rare that sites are down longer than a day. Typically with DH I see them down for 5-90 minutes a few times a day. In the last few days, my site has been inaccessible roughly 10% of the time. Email has been very sluggish for weeks…

But the fact that all users have been experiencing trouble for the last month or so is well documented and DH admits it. So saying that since Jan '05 your sites haven’t been down for more than a day, doesn’t mean that your service you’ve been receiving has been greater than or equal to the industry norm.

GiraffeDesign.com

Good news, they are both back up as of now! Good Luck! :slight_smile:
–rlparker

Yeah, I know. However, I’m just saying that for me personally, the service is well worth the price. YMMV :slight_smile:

Stephen Harper