DreamHost screws us over, but is helping me now so far

Our site is offline, but the bill is paid.
I have talked with Online Chat support and they claim they can’t fix it. The error message is
"The site is currently not available due to technical problems. Please try again later. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are the maintainer of this site, please check your database settings in the settings.php file and ensure that your hosting provider’s database server is running. For more help, see the handbook, or contact your hosting provider.
The mysqli error was: Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/No-MySQL-hostname-was-specified’ (2)."

Our developer is long gone and all we do is post things every couple of months. I have no idea how this happened. and they won’t fix it.
Very bad customer service. If anyone has any experience with this and could walk me through what to do I’d appreciate it.

Don’t blame dreamhost for this. Maintaining your site is not their job. A “long gone” developer is not a good sign. As versions of this and that update, and security holes are plugged here and there at the server level things do change. Sites get hacked as well.

In your case tho I have to wonder, did you get a notification of a server move? That shouldn’t cause trouble normally, unless the developer did something weird in the first place.

Hi LakeRat, I did not get notification of a server move. The site is fine one day the next it’s offline due to that problem. I’m at a loss. Very frustrating. All I know is they are hosting it. Nothing happened on our end and now it’s offline.

Your site is using an unusual configuration for MySQL which is not supported by DreamHost. A DreamHost Support employee should be getting in touch with you shortly with more details; the long and the short of it, though, is that your developer has set things up in a nonstandard fashion which is not compatible with the PHP upgrade which you performed recently. You will need to get in touch with them about changing that.

Hello Andrew.
OK thank you. At least we’re getting somewhere. Our developer set this up more than 3 years ago. He hasn’t done anything to the site in over two years. I saw the “update your version of PHP by clicking here.” link so I clicked it and that was only two days ago. Now our site is offline. I restored from a backup of three days ago but that has not worked. The online chat support person said that should work. I’m a complete newbie who has to be walked through everything. Can’t our site somehow be restored to what it was before? I shouldn’t be penalized for clicking something that should have helped our site should I?

You can drop back to a previous version of PHP if that’s what has caused your issue, but I wouldn’t recommend it, not least of all due to security and code changes.

Well, yes - technically.

As it’s your site, you maintain responsibility for ensuring any changes you make are going to work with the site or application you are having hosted.
Granted, had I had a site built for me, I too would expect things to just work, but as I’m in the business of development and support,
I know all too well that things rarely go to plan, try as I might to avoid such issues.

If the work carried out by your dev had been done in a way that allowed for future upgrades, then yes,
the PHP upgrade would likely have made things better.

However, as Andrew has already said, the original dev left things in a rather unsustainable way, meaning that future upgrades to PHP/MySQL
would have required additional work in order to maintain a stable site.

So either recruiting a new dev to take over maintenance of your site, or locating your wayward dev to redo some incompatible code would have
been the better course of action for an individual with little or no experience of their own.

It just seems that on this occasion, a series of factors that no one in the current circle of your site could have foreseen, resulted in your site going down.
It’s not really anyones fault, I just would have checked compatibility first, or left it as is :slight_smile: