DreamHost Ruby on Rails Help

Hi,

I am trying to learn Ruby on Rails by using several tutorials available online.

I signed up for DreamHost and I have Passenger enabled on my domain. If I go to my domain root (mydomain.com) I am shown the index.html file in ‘mydomain/rubyappname/public/index.html’

Problem is, I don’t want to go to the static page when I hit the root of my domain.

So I did a mv index.html index.foo in the public directory, but then when I go to my site I get a Ruby (Rack) application could not be started with a bunch of errors.

I created a controller via rails create controller welcome index which runs fine and generates the route in config/routes.rb. But when I go to mydomain.com/welcome/index or mydomain.com/welcome or even just mydomain.com, I keep getting the same Ruby (Rack) application could not be started error.

I have also gone into the tmp directory and done a ‘touch restart.txt’ many times but I still get the error.

I just want to follow along with the tutorials but it seems as if this Phusion Passenger sitting in the middle changes how the routing works and makes it so the tutorials don’t work. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!