DreamHost PS setup

Hi,

I’ve my DreamHost PS set to go a couple of days ago, since then, my sites are no longer working. Apache is pointing to the new server created by Dreamhost PS, but my files remains in the old one.

I have been opening tickets with Dreamhost support to have this issue fixed, but so far, no response.

I’m wondering if there is something I need to configure in other to make my new server take in consideration data available at the old one. All I have are empty directories for each domain I have.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, zeca

So Dreamhost support told you they had started the process of migrating your sites over to your new PS server?

My understanding of the process from having gone through it is that once they tell us they’ve started the migration, we’re not supposed to touch anything until they tell us that everything is working. I know they specifically mentioned that I shouldn’t fool with anything because they were in there moving stuff and editing to make everything work. (Not that there’s much to do, but mostly they told me to not reboot my server).

I’d guess that they’re working the problem, but are having their usual problem on not having the various tickets routed to the person who’s sitting at the console working on your upgrade. Did you have an original ticket from the initiation of your PS upgrade?

My understanding is that Dreamhost does all the work of transferring everything over and getting your sites working again. The fact that the directories are empty for your sites is a sign that they’re in the middle of working the transfer. How long has it been since they started moving you to your new PS server?

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Hi Lensman,

Thanks for replying. I will quote each one of your kind reply.

You asked: So Dreamhost support told you they had started the process of migrating your sites over to your new PS server?

No. Just received an email saying that my PS was provisioned with the name of loronix and a bottom line (a P.S.) with this statement. “It may take a day or two before the new DNS information has propagated across the Internet and everything is transitioned to loronix, but don’t worry… the process should be seamless!” However, I’m finishing the second day and a seamless process would not take all my sites off-line.

My understanding of the process from having gone through it is that once they tell us they’ve started the migration, we’re not supposed to touch anything until they tell us that everything is working. I know they specifically mentioned that I shouldn’t fool with anything because they were in there moving stuff and editing to make everything work. (Not that there’s much to do, but mostly they told me to not reboot my server).

No instruction was given, I just received an email saying I was set to go. I can forward a copy to you if want, just send an email to zecalouro@gmail.com, please.

Did you have an original ticket from the initiation of your PS upgrade?

There was no structured process to upgrade my account to PS, just a “Happy Dreamhost PS Team” say that it was provisioned.

My understanding is that Dreamhost does all the work of transferring everything over and getting your sites working again. The fact that the directories are empty for your sites is a sign that they’re in the middle of working the transfer. How long has it been since they started moving you to your new PS server?

I don’t have this answer, they just said it was done, no previous instructions given. In the other hand, if they are in the middle of a transfer, I think they would keep apache pointing to my shared lipton account during the process instead of changing immediately to loronix (PS) out of the blue.

I’m worried they are lost or busy on other issues, but I think it is only a couple of console commands to make my websites ready. I’m thinking about canceling the PS and move back to shared, my websites are part of my monthly income and they cannot be down for two days.

Thanks a million.

Regards, zeca

I know the email makes it sound like everything is ready, but it’s really telling you that the server has been created and they’re starting the process of copying all your sites over. I’m pretty sure they use the day or two of DNS propagation time to copy all your files over to your new filer and to get everything up and running.

They preserve all the one-click settings and your cron jobs and such so I think there’s stuff for them to do. I think the key phrase from the support email is “It may take a day or two before”, “and”, and “everything is transitioned to loronix”.

I imagine it won’t make you feel any better about the situation, but some of my sites were back up in four hours, but some took a whole day to come back up.

I think they mean seamless in the sense that we don’t have to do any work, they do it all. There’s definitely downtime involved.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Hello Lensman, how are you?

I came back just to say that my PS still in agony. In 20 days, I had not even two hours with my websites working. In the beginning, the Support claimed a problem of high use of CPU and memory, so I turned off all my websites, leaving the PS only for the use of FTP and SSH. Even so the problem remains.

Days later, an admin reported a hardware failure between the PS and the disk; however, this information was overlooked by employees who resumed the case. It seems that he should not have said that there was a flaw.

Afraid, I decided open a ticket and report the impossibility of using the Files Forever service, in the hope of finding another line of support and solve the problem.

…It happened in less than 24 hours. my filer was detached, replaced and my PS was new again with wonderful performance. It was only one day and I could not do many things, I had a whole day of meetings outside. The weirdest event happened in the following day, the employee who was running my case said that he took the previous day off and mysteriosly, my PS went down the whole day.

I am afraid. There is nothing else to be done from my side. Clearly, someone does not want my PS working. I have been asking Dreamhost to move my files elsewhere, so that I can leave. No reply from support. It seems that Private Servers are used to put some customers in quarantine.

Thanks.

How much FTP/SSH traffic did you have?

Thanks once again, Lensman.

I took the whole February at Control Panel, the figures are:

Total Bandwidth Used by Users for these 30 days:
30 days: 18523.3234 MB or 18Gb.
average of 617.444 MB per day.

This should be something below Dreamhost average.

Respect,

zeca