Dreamhost PS and php

Just curious. Since in the shared hosting plans, we are obviously unable to change the php.ini file parameters (like max memory limits, max transaction timeouts, etc) because they are shared…

If we sign up for the private servers service, would we be able to change those parameters for our individual private server?

Thanks,

–Hans

Technically, logically, we should be able to do that. And that will be great!

I am not using PS. Let’s see how those PS users say :stuck_out_tongue:

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Not obvious as you think:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/PHP.ini

More:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:wiki.dreamhost.com+php.ini

I remember reading somewhere, specifically referring to slow Gallery performance, that using this or any other method of manually setting php.ini parameters would not work in a shared hosting environment on DH. Is that still true? Or does your link’s instructions actually work? I recall trying this before and it didn’t work…

That’s something you’ll probably have to contact support about. It’s not obvious that we would be allowed to do this since PS service is still a managed hosting service. That is, you control everything off of the panel and DreamHost “supports” the one-click installs.

It’s not entirely clear to me whether there’d be any difference between modifying the default php.ini vs. the method shown in the wiki article. I suppose it’s a benefit in that the same php.ini can be used across users.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

What you are probably recalling seeing are comments that simply editing php.ini will not work on DreamHost - and that is “correct” in that you can’t edit DreamHost’s shared php.ini.

That said, the links that have been provided to DreamHost Wiki pages take you to a workaround for that (using a copy of DreamHost’s supplied PHP-CGI and php.ini, and setting up your domain to use that), and the process described in those Wiki Articles does work.

You can also compile and use your own complete customized PHP implementation if you so desire (which addresses this issue am much more).

Note that neither of these methods are supported by DreamHost tech support and, if you do this, you are on your own as they will not help you sort it out if/when you “bork” it.

–rlparker