Dreamhost Phone #?

Does anyone know of a phone number I can reach tech support at? I signed up for a dedicated server recently and just realized they didn’t leave me the root password anywhere that I can find. I REALLY need to set up some stuff on the server but I’m stuck till I get the password…

you can put in a support request and ask for a call back. but that’s as close as you can get, as far as I know.

-Matttail

Do they always take ~24 hours to answer a support request?

I feel like DreamHost is a little schizophrenic. I got rave reviews of them from friends but so far my experience has been a little frustrating. I get the sense that their support staff is very good but also very overworked…

Hard to say really. Read the other posts in this forum about customer support, and many others. I think they’re doing really well for the most part recently. They hired three more support people who just started a couple of weeks ago, and since then the support que has been much lower.

It may take abit, but I think the consence is that when support does get back to you it’s with a very helpful and professional answer.

BTW, did you check your support history to see if they did actually send out the password but for some reason you didn’t recieve the E-mail?

-Matttail

All but one of my support responses came in under 24 hours, most under 12. But, there are some here who are frustrated with responses times of as much as 3-5 days. So, as Mattail said, it’s hard to say. Personal experience tells me that you’ll get a response before the day is over.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

If you’re coughing-up for a dedicated server, it wouldn’t seem unreasonable for you to ask for an emergency number, or at least a pager number or something.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Thanks for the tip. I just searched through all the support history but unfortunately they only have the password for one of the non-root users.

Yeah, I kind of assumed I would get one. It was only when I really needed to get in touch with them that I realized I couldn’t find a contact number.

[quote]Thanks for the tip. I just searched through all the support history but
unfortunately they only have the password for one of the non-root users.

[/quote]

FYI, we don’t provide root access by default for Dedicated servers, as most people never use it and having such access available makes your server more prone to security exploits. If you don’t have definite plans to use it, we recommend that you don’t get it enabled until you do.

However, we do provide ‘sudo’ root access on request, meaning that you would log in using one of your main shell users and then use the sudo command to attain root privileges. This is sort of like having normal root, but is a bit more secure.

We provide sudo support to all Dedicated customers upon request, but you’ll need to contact support to get it enabled. We ask you to agree to a few things first (mostly common sense stuff - ie. don’t log into your privileged account using insecure protocols such as FTP/Telnet, the power of root means that you’re responsible for any major server problems that are caused by changes you make, etc). The support person who gets back to you will go through all of this.

As for support: We do provide an emergency ‘sos’ email address to Dedicated customers for use in emergency situations - this goes directly to our on-call Dev/Admin’s pager, 24/7. If you weren’t given this, send us an email and we’ll go over that. Other than that, support is the same as with shared hosting, though Dedicated support inquiries are flagged in a bright red color and tend to receive answers pretty quickly (note that this requires that you write in using your contact email address for the account).

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

[quote]We do provide an emergency ‘sos’ email address to Dedicated customers
for use in emergency situations - this goes directly to our on-call Dev/
Admin’s pager, 24/7.

[/quote]

Just an addendum to this: We also provide an emergency ‘sos’ phone number for Dedicated customers, which works in much the same way as the pager email address mentioned above.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Kavin,

I am offering up a $100 reward for anyone knowing the whereabouts of a DreamHost telephone number…

Or am I? :wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd