Dreamhost performance has hugely deteriorated for the last 2 month

We have a few hosting accounts with Dreamhost, and also with other hosting companies including Godaddy. In the last 2 month, the performance of those sites hosted on Dreamhost has deteriorated to a degree that we are considering moving all sites. I’m certain the problem is database performance. And the funny thing is that our shared hosting accounts on Godaddy now has suddenly become the trustworthy ones; I never thought one day I’d be complementing Godaddy.

On Dreamhost, all our sites (Drupal based) keep getting ‘500 Internal server’ error message, or ‘Page not found’ error message. Both of which are probably due to database connection problems.

Now, my question is if anyone else experienced this? I hate to have to move all our sites to other hosting accounts; but unless this problem is resolved we absolutely have to.

P.S. We are running near identical code on Dreamhost and Godaddy. So, it’s not the code.

Gee, I’m overwhelmed by Dreamhost’s support. I don’t think I’ll have time to read all the zero responses.

Thank you guys, you proved that we better move to another web hosting company.

you know this discussion board is not an official dreamhost support channel, right?

in response to your question, i have noticed a significant slowdown in the past week. it seems to be caused by slow SQL queries though, not problems connecting.

Below you can see the sort of monthly mood swings in performance I’ve been seeing:

http://my.vocabularysize.com/assets/images/references/RC4d57h8gy9m67N3Gb24p5E7p7tCtuhDgeP.png

I do have the same problem with some of my websites too. I had done some research everywhere on web and I had found nothing helped me yet.
What make you think the problem is database performance? can you show me how you came to this?

This problem is annoying, the 500(internal error) I think it’s a memory problem. the 404 (not found page) it’s the big problem I have, maybe it’s seems the database problem you mention before.

It’s seems to be the only option… :frowning:

I do have the same problem with some of my websites too. I had done some research everywhere on web and I had found nothing helped me yet.
What make you think the problem is database performance? can you show me how you came to this?

This problem is annoying, the 500(internal error) I think it’s a memory problem. the 404 (not found page) it’s the big problem I have, maybe it’s seems the database problem you mention before.

It’s seems to be the only option… :frowning:

Yes, I experienced the same thing. I have been hosting 3 Wordpress sites on Dreamhost since April 2011. Starting in August 2011, the sites started going down so I emailed the support desk on Dreamhost and they tell me I have to upgrade to the VPS service. I did not change anything on the sites.

This is their way of getting more money from their customers who thought they were getting $9.95 per month (bait and switch trick).

For over a month I tried to lower the amount of memory that one of my sites was using. I have dozens of emails with Dreamhost support (who are very responsive by the way) telling me to turn off this and that plugin. I removed all the plugins they told me were memory hogs to no avail. The memory being consumed was still too high.

But the thing that really pissed me off was the email from support which told me that they were still working out a way for Dreamhost customers to figure out exactly how much memory they need but in the meantime, Dreamhost has a very aggressive script that just kills your website. Here is a snippet of the email they sent me:

“We are working on a few solutions to correct the issues we’re seeing. The biggest issue right now is that customers do not have a way to see if they are hitting their RAM limits on the VPS. The reason why it doesn’t
show in the panel usage charts is because the memory request is denied. For example, if you have 300MB limit set, and you’re using 280MB, and a request comes in for 50MB, it’ll just get denied. That’s why the graph will never show you over your RAM limit. This is the reason why we are working on a notification system which will inform customers about hitting their RAM limits and increase it temporarily for one week for customers to either find the cause of the high RAM usage or increase their RAM. We are also working on a system for us to be able to find which VPS servers are causing the most issues on the VPS and tracking them. Right now when oom is triggered it’s hard to track down what VPS is causing it. We need to have a better monitoring system on our end which will help narrow down problem users and then either move them off to another host machine or disable them if they are not willing to cooperate with checking their code for problems that cause high usage.”

I have no problem if Dreamhost decides to change its policies and implement this but they need to warn customers IN ADVANCE or wait until this procedure is in place. In essence, what Dreamhost is doing is sneakily increasing the monthly fee that you pay them.

So I’ve decided to leave Dreamhost because their total lack of concern for the uptime of their customers’ websites is not acceptable to me.

It’s interesting because I’ve never had a problem with running out of memory. Could you provide some more details of what web apps you are using and the average number of successful page requests per day? Also, do you use any sort of caching? It seems that most people who have these problems are running popular WordPress or Drupal installations. I know WP uses 30-40 MB every time it runs, so without caching, continuously sustained loads of 4-5 concurrent page requests could easily hit your memory limit in a shared account…

I have been having this same problem with the Dreamhost service and am not very happy with it. I have pretty much been though all of the troubleshooting with support, I have switched servers. I went over to there vps and got the same results. The fact remains that Dreamhost did something during this year and my site has been running ridiculously slow. I have caching going on, I have added a custom php.ini, tried to trim down my resources but even the basic database requests take over 2 mins to complete for every transaction so they either time out or I get a 500 Internal server error.
The service at this level is not acceptable and im going to be transferring my sites. Im also going to be recommending my customers not to be using dreamhost and also will be giving it negative reviews. I wasted alot of time and energy switching my site over to dreamhost because I had heard alot of good things about them only for them to screw me over after I have been a customer for a few months.

I noticed that DH has taken off the Drupal logo from their one-click page.
Perhaps they have made a change concerning their deployment of Drupal? Does anyone know anything about that?
Thanks

Drupal was only available as a simple install which was crap. You had no control over your files. I don’t know the issue they had making a custom install as it never ever had that option to begin with. If you want Drupal go to drupal.org and download the files and install it yourself. Its not that complicated.

I find that the quality of the webmail has taking a huge dive. It is cutting out all the time. Perhaps I should switch to my own version of squirrel mail or roundcube.

Have you tried comparing the php.ini files at both Godaddy and Dreamhost to see whether godaddy has any php.ini file instructions you can copy? Particularly, are the memory limits different? Have you ran the final optimizations required for javascript and theming (debug mode off) etc.?

–Sam