Dreamhost mail server rejecting incoming gmail?

Hello.

Working with a client - set things up this morning - set up an email box.

Mails to that account from gmail are being rejected.

554 5.7.1 <mail-bk0-f47.google.com[209.85.214.47]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Mails to the same address from a yahoo account are getting through fine.

This seems like kind of a big deal. Any help?

If the domain (and not just the mailbox) is new, the problem maybe that DNS hasn’t fully propagated yet. It’s possible that MX records exist to route the mail, but proper txt records for SPF, DKIM etc are still being selectively seen. If this is the case, it should self resolve within a few hours.

domain’s not new, but new on dreamhost. That said, it’s been several hours already.

I don’t imagine that would be the issue though. Why would dreamhost be blocking incoming mail from gmail be dependent on my DNS settings? Some gmail servers being blacklisted would seem a more likely scenario, no?

It’s my belief the error message is misleading. If you look at who’s reporting, it’s coming from google, not dreamhost. When you read about 554 email error you can’t track down why in this case, other than almost every other google result for “email 554” includes things DNS related.

FOO is my client’s name - not sure they wanted it to be publicized or not, but imagine FOO was something else.

I got back:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

test@FOO.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain FOO.com by mail.FOO.com. [208.97.132.231].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.7.1 <mail-bk0-f47.google.com[209.85.214.47]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

----- Original message -----

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;

=============================

That seems to indicate it’s dreamhost blocking. It’s not happening all the time - it’s intermittent right now. Maybe it’s gone away now? (fingers crossed)

[quote]That seems to indicate it’s dreamhost blocking. It’s not happening all the time - it’s intermittent right now. Maybe it’s gone away now? (fingers crossed)
[/quote]

Any news on this? I am having the same problem. I kind of assume it fixed itself as it all went quiet?

hello!

I’m just facing the same issue :frowning:

No problem receiving email from other providers, but can’t receive email from Gmail… same error.

Any help?

Thanks!

EDIT: ahh… nevermind! Seems it was a temporary issue. Seems to work fine again