Dreamhost mail server listed in spamcop

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=208.97.132.61

Did you notify DreamHost? They can probably sort it out.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Still listed:

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=208.97.132.176

208.97.132.176 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Causes of listing

• System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

Additional potential problems
(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

• System administrator has already delisted this system once

Because of the above problems, express-delisting is not available

Listing History
In the past 72.7 days, it has been listed 9 times for a total of 8.9 days
Other hosts in this “neighborhood” with spam reports
208.97.132.5 208.97.132.53 208.97.132.60 208.97.132.66 208.97.132.74 208.97.132.78 208.97.132.81 208.97.132.83 208.97.132.98 208.97.132.118 208.97.132.202

Did you contact DreamHost Support to negotiate the removal? Spamcop can be a tad annoying. :slight_smile:

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Spamcop may be annoying, but it is a lifesaver to me. I am a Spamcop subscriber and all my mail gets filtered through Spamcop. Their blocklist is dynamic so if a spam source stops spamming, it falls off the list.

There are two ways the DH server can get on the list. One is if someone on DH is really spamming, in which case the listing is correct. The other is if a Spamcop user forwards their DH mail to Spamcop, fails to register the DH server as a “known mailhost”, and then carelessly reports a forwarded message as spam. This is similar to the AOL problem except that Spamcop has a robust mechanism to find the actual spam source further down the header chain.

Spamcop, unlike some blocklist providers, maintains a responsive staff and works with hosting services and ISPs to resolve issues quickly. Yes, it is a pain when one of the servers that forward mail to me gets on the list for a while, but I’d rather that then get so much more spam.

And, FWIW, the DH server is off the list now.

208.97.132.176 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Steve

I have had a lot of Dreamhost-originating mail blocked recently by SpamCop. This is mail sent through various domains hosted by Dreamhost. Yes, the blocks expire. Yes, the DH support staff do what they can. But whatever the reasons, excuses, and finger-pointing, if DH doesn’t fix the problem, I will be forced to bail on DH and go find a reliable mail service. The ongoing problem with SpamCop is corrosive to client support, and shreds my reputation and credibility. Moving is not something I want to do. I like just about everything about DH and have referred it to many people looking for hosting services. I report every block to DH support, risking becoming a nag. The most recent reply from one of their support techs was the lamest yet. “We’ve been trying to get in touch with them to get it resolved, but we’re essentially stuck until SpamCop fixes this.” Gimme a break. Pick up the phone. DH is among the top two dozen ISPs in the world, I think - of a size that SpamCop’s owner, IronPort, will surely listen to a reasonable argument. It’s a short flight, or a nice day’s drive from Brea to San Bruno. Enough of this “trying to get in touch” crap. Fix the problem. Or lose your customers.

I spent four years working in Earthlink’s network abuse department and even being one of the top four ISPs carries absolutely no weight with Spamcop or any other blacklist. Nor should it.

Frankly, I wouldn’t trust a blacklist that gave perferential treatment to bigger companies (I actually wouldn’t use Spamcop’s blacklist at all, but for other reasons).

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

I set my mail client to use my ISP’s smtp server instead, since DH is blocked so much so often all the time by someone somewhere (it got really annoying). It’s my at&t dsl, and it’s never a problem. I recently sent out 500 emails, and they didn’t complain. But, I sent it 3 emails per minute. So, it took hours.

Is this mail sent from web scripts?

Terry

Thanks for your reply, Terry. Small comfort to know that I am not alone.

Are you able to make your messages, the ones you send through your ISP (at&t) mail server, appear as if they’re coming from a domain that’s actually hosted in your DH account?

And if someone replies to one of these messages, does it appear to be going to that domain, or to at&t?

That’s what I don’t want to lose, are the domain names in the email addresses that clients see. I want me@dreamhostdomain.com and not have to use me@at&t.com, or whatever.

Maybe you’ve figured this part of the dilemma out.

I am disappointed to hear that blocking of DH servers has been a chronic and long-standing thing. It kind of undermines the potential for DH to make a valid argument to SpamCop that it is being inappropriately blocked.

It looks like it’s coming from my dh domain, not my at&t account. It’s all exactly the same except that it’s sent from at&t’s server. Apparently the server is what the spam filters look at (well, spamcop, or like when hotmail or aol decide to block all dh mail), not the sender or reply addresses.

In your mail client, you have settings for incomming mail, and separate settings for outgoing mail. Keep your incomming settings the same, and just set a different outgoing smtp server.

Terry

I’ve followed your suggestion, and it seems to be working. At least, none of my mail has been rejected since I implemented the change. Is it coincidence? I got the same suggestion from a DH support staffer within a day of you posting your solution.

This means that I (and probably a lot of other people) won’t be nagging them, so their motivation to address the problem (either it’s too much junk sent out through DH servers or it’s an inappropriate bias at SpamCop’s end) will be reduced.