On one hand congratulations might be in order for DH to get themselves off of a RBL within some number of minutes after the event.
On the other hand:
- After all of these years of being in business, how does a company this mature still get mixed up in this complete newb situation? How does this company allow enough emails to get out through the servers from any account, where that event causes the entire company to get RBL’d?
- I’ve been here for something like 12 years and the complete incompetence with email is something that has been a part of DH since I signed up. WTH techs and management? Over the years we’ve seen all kinds of suggestions for how to improve this situation and they haven’t been followed. For example:
- Charge us for SMTP/POP3 servers that are only available to your clients who have been here for some number of years.
- Lock everyone down with SPF and DKIM
- Pre-filter outbound mail and bounce it back to the originator if it looks spammy.
- Partner with the maintainers of RBLs so that they don’t completely shutdown a server because of one of your clients.
- Watch accounts that send out more email that doesn’t fit their normal profile.
Why in blazes do you need someone outside of the company to once again make suggestions about how to secure your services? You’re in this business of hosting, we aren’t.
And having said that, I gotta find the time to build my own server in DreamCompute (competently or not at all), because I’ve never been able to trust you guys with email and I hate paying another companies for the service because you can’t handle it.