Dreamhost email but other domain host

I need to find out if it possible to use dreamhost for web and email but from my domain hosted elsewhere.

A new webhosting account was purchased from Dreamhost and there is an existing domain name with a different domain hosting provider that we want to use instead. We don’t want to transfer the domain to dreamhost but want to use the domain name for email accounts (and webhosting).

When you sign up for DH, you choose either create a new domain or transfer an existing one…so we got a new domain instead and were planning on path forwarding.

How do we set up DH emails to utilize the other domain hosted elsewhere but utilizing DH’s email services?

There’s a difference between domain “hosting” and domain “registration.” Your first paragraph asks about hosting email and web here, but the last paragraph implies email here, and web there.

To host email at a different host than your web site, you’ll need to update your MX records:
To get the MX record entries for a service hosted here, go to the Panel for Manage Domains and click DNS. You’ll see the MX and A record entries needed for mail services. Those are the entries you’ll need to add to the DNS where your site is hosted.

If you really want to host everything here for a domain you registered somewhere else, all you have to do is go to the other host and tell it to use DreamHost’s DNS servers for your domain.

We want to use DH as the web and email host while using our domain that is at a different provider. As stated in your last paragraph, we can change the DNS records at our domain host to reflect/redirect to the DreamHost DNS servers…but then when we create email accounts from within DH, can we choose to use the domain name from the other provider?

It sounds like your domain is registered at a different registrar, which is fine. It’s like having a car registered in Texas, but you drive it in California. If you told the registrar that you’re using DreamHost (you set the name server?), your domain will work here.

You will first need to create a Fully Hosted domain in the panel under Manage Domains. Once that’s done, the domain will be activated here and then you can start assigning email addresses to that domain.

Yes, the domain is at DirectNIC but we are using DH for the webhosting. So, I go into ‘Manage Domains’ and create a new domain using the same name as the domain I have registered at DirectNIC (for example eg-mynewdomain.com) and then point the domain at DirectNIC to the DH DNS servers? This won’t cost me anymore?

Yes, that’ll work.

I use DirectNIC for some of my domain registrations. Use this link:
And then click on the domain you’re using. You’ll get a screen with a list of nameservers. Click on that list, as it’s one giant link. Change them to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com

It won’t cost any more. You can have dozens of domains hosted here for the price you’ve already paid. Domain Name Registrations are a separate service.

Great! Thanks for the help!!

That is a good solution.

But i have a case. How about if i would like to keep on the other registrar the domain, the web hosting and only use DH for email hosting?

In my mind i needed to change only the MX record in the DNS configuration on the other registrar hosting and point it to the IP adress of DH. It seems to work fine but only in outbond. I can send email from DH but can not receive from outside. Other email servers are getting the following error:

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mydomain.com by mail.mydomain.com. [].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.7.1 <mail-io0-f175.google.com[]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the exact same scenario with the same error.

I searched a long time solutions with that problem and finaly I found the same thing. It’s working for me.