Dreamhost Earthquake plan?

Just curious what Dreamhost’s disaster planning would be if there was an Earthquake that affected their main data center…

Is this information available anywhere, or would a DH’er be willing to share it?

where is there main data center located?

Use the coupon code [color=#CC0000]60DOLLARS[/color] when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant [color=#CC0000]$60 off[/color]!

The main data center is in LA.

I suspect that you’ll have to contact sales or support to ask about any plan though.

I think a disater plan would go somethign like this:
1)OMG! it’s an big earthquake
2)Scream OMG! OM*G!!!
3)run into the hills for safety.
4)Once things are clear, assess damage. Either:
A) File bankruptcy becuase the enitre data cetner fell into the ocean with the rest of california. OR
B) Wait untill power and backbone connection has been restored to the data center and then begin working on restoring services.

-Matttail

I think the data center is located in Los Angeles, California, which is well known for its seismic activity.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

The location of the datacenter is one of the reasons why I’ve become fanatical about making local backups of everything I have, such as weekly MySQL dumps (I don’t get enough traffic to warrant more). If California were to disappear into the Pacific, I would be able to get myself up and running relatively quickly.

Personally, I think you have to be nuts to live in places of geological or climate instability.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

just to clear up a very common misconception …

CA is NOT falling INTO the ocean … if anything, it’s being lifted OUT of the ocean …

That’s not what Lex Luthor said in Superman, and he’s supposed to be the “greatest criminal mind of our time!”

I’m sure it does. I don’t actually live in Philadelphia though. I’m about 20 minutes away in leafy Swarthmore, and about the most exciting thing that happens here is when the local theatre puts on a play.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of natural disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes, twisters, and volcanic eruptions. We rarely get that kind of thing in this part of the world.

Presumably your backups are in a cicada-proof location. You have a while to come up with a plan, though :slight_smile:

I’ve never seen one of those big cicada broods. My wife saw one in Chicago a few years ago though.

It may not be falling into the ocen right now, but when that big earthquake comes it’s gonna form a giant chasm in the land - then ker-plunk! California is going to fall into the ocean.

:slight_smile:

-Matttail

They backup everything on to floppy disks.
It is either a very big floppy disk or they use a lot of them.

Norm