Dreamhost Donations

as quoted from the donations page:
“Adult-related sites of any kind may NOT use DreamHost Donations!
Violation will result in immediate account termination!”

from my two dreamhost accounts i’m hosting part of the wakachan imageboard network…

from dreamhost: "Adult-related sites of any kind may NOT use DreamHost Donations!
Violation will result in immediate account termination!"
this is very vague… do they mean the dreamhost account, the paypal account or both?

my site www.koichan.net is moderated to make it worksafe, but due to the fact it’s a public access board and i cannot moderate it 24/7, i cannot guarantee it being 100% worksafe 100% of the time…

what does this mean for dreamhost? does ‘Violation will result in immediate account termination’ mean your paypal avccount or your dreamhost account may be deleted or both? this is not clear anywhere…

First of all, this clearly refers to “Adult-related sites”, and that should be a pretty easy thing to determine. Is it, or is it not?

Obviously DreamHost would only be able to terminate your DreamHost account. They have no influence on PayPal. That addresses your concern about “which account”.

Concerning “very vague”, let’s start by pointing out that the DH folks are pretty sensible. I can’t imagine that they’ll close your account if a forum member posts objectionable material and you don’t get a decent chance of removing it. In contrast, if you purposefully post objectionable material for others to access, that would be a violation.

Of course this is just my guess at how DH would interpret this. But as I said, they’re reasonable, so surely you’ll get a chance to defend yourself and/or correct the matter - at least if you’ve shown reasonable interest to follow these guidelines.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I guess the problem lies in PayPal forbidding any Adult-related activities, even with the sales of adult domain names. So any donation related to adult websites made via PayPal to DreamHost might compromise DreamHost’s account with PayPal; and that’s probably the reason they disallow that.

DreamRegistrar.com - Register your own domain with DreamHost for just $14.95 now

I stand corrected; prufrock’s comment makes a lot of sense to me and I’m wondering if my previous comment was dead wrong.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

I am just guessing here too, but I know that many companies and individuals out there have been adjusting to that PayPal’s so-called “Mature Audiences” clause since its effective date in September.

DreamRegistrar.com - Register your own domain with DreamHost for just $14.95 now

This is, in fact, the reason for the policy.