Dreamhost Data Protection - In event of nuclear EMP blast or major 2012 solar storm?

Greetings,

I know this sounds like an odd question, but I was wondering how safe the web data, databases or any backup data stored on disk drives are.

For example, is Dreamhost protected in the event of a high altitude nuclear explosion (EMP blast)? In a similar situation, is the data protected in the event of an extremely large solar storm?

I’ve heard that these events could wipe out all electronics and possibly hard drive data.

The solar cycle is supposed to peak in 2012. We also know about the 2012 prophecy thing happening as well. In addition, if the situation with Iran results in high altitude nuclear blasts (EMP blasts) that result in all electronics and the power grid being knocked out.

Just trying to be safe than sorry! I would not want all of my data being wiped out at Dreamhost AND my computer at the same time with no backup!

Thanks
Kind regards

I think you’d have more to worry about in those situations than the status of your website. If you are playing the odds, I’d be more concerned about a major earthquake hitting the datacentres which is just about guaranteed to happen within the next 50 years or so.

Anyway, you have your own backups, right? How are you preparing to protect your data from solar storms and nuclear blasts, and alien invasions for that matter?

I actually don’t have a backup that could withstand an EMP blast, this is why I am asking if Dreamhost has one. It’s just my way of planning ahead.

My thinking is that if an EMP hit or a major solar storm hit, at least my website would still be there weeks, months or years after repairs have been made if there is EMP-proof backup. Without proper backup, I would end up having to build everything from scratch again, all files are wiped.

Also, I don’t think an earthquake would do nearly as much permanent damage on electronics and hard drives as a full EMP blast or solar storm. A full scale solar storm is a real possibility in 2012 when the 11-year solar cycle peaks. Solar storms have been known to do this sort of damage. In the age of electronics, we haven’t seen the truly violent ones that were recorded every hundred years or so ( http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/ ). So this really isn’t an unrealistic question…

If you are concerned, maybe you should look at hosts which specifically promote their datacentres as being hosted in a bunker or cave.

in this thread: http://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-130974.html andrewf seems to be saying that dreamhost does do backups as a convenience to customers, but they are not guaranteed to be available. Seems like maybe you should keep your own backups in case of EMP blast or solar storm, dreamhosts backups might not be available :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are really concern about the data, I’ll suggest you to go with dedicated server and negotiate with DH how you would like to backup your data. I’ll suggest you to have an offline backup in a different location.

If not, just stay on shared server and backup the file to a different location (your local machine?) on your own.

huh, it looks like I’m not the only one concerned about this!

I always have it backed up on my computer and external hard drive, but if a nuclear bomb is detonated 300km over the US, every electronic device in the continental US that not protected by a Faraday cage is going to be cooked. Including my computer and external hard drive, plus Dreamhost at the same time. If a full scale solar superstorm hits, whatever half of the globe that is facing the sun will have all their unprotected electronics fried…

Anyone know if Dreamhost has a Faraday cage?

[quote]if a nuclear bomb is detonated 300km over the US, every electronic device in the continental US that not protected by a Faraday cage is going to be cooked. Including my computer and external hard drive, plus Dreamhost at the same time. If a full scale solar superstorm hits, whatever half of the globe that is facing the sun will have all their unprotected electronics fried…
[/quote]That’s why my backup is in New Zealand.

Anyway, if everyone’s computer is cooked, then who’s going to be visiting your website?

[quote=“peppy, post:1, topic:56626”]
Greetings,
I know this sounds like an odd question, but I was wondering how safe the web data, databases or any backup data stored on disk drives are.[/quote]

For me it depends on how close I keep my liquid refreshments to my system. Coffee is some destructive stuff and though I’ve never spilled any on an HDD, several keyboards have been sacrificed to the ComputerGods over the years as a result of my indiscretions in caution on that count.

[quote]For example, is Dreamhost protected in the event of a high altitude nuclear explosion (EMP blast)? In a similar situation, is the data protected in the event of an extremely large solar storm?

I’ve heard that these events could wipe out all electronics and possibly hard drive data.[/quote]

Yah, that could be bad. My solution has been to hire the local gravestone provider to carve all of my data and programming into polished granite slabs. The transcription process should only take a few more years, but the big problem has been where to store it all; my downstairs neighbor will whine on about his ceiling sagging under the weight (not to mention the clutter in my own living space) so I’m thinking of renting some pyramid space from Egypt once they get all their government nonsense squared away.

I think you’re being far too optimistic in terms of Iranian missile tech. Even with what China may or may not be selling chances are any decent Major League Baseball pitcher can toss a nuke higher than an Iranian missile platform could.

You should try microetching. It’s a much higher density analogue format although I’m sure nickel’s melting point is much lower. I’d guess that nickel weathers better though. They hold roughly 50MB of data each: http://rosettaproject.org/disk/technology/

Ooooooh - shiny.

And spherical container as well. Wonder if they can be made in to glycerin-filled snowglobes…?

Happy New Year

You do realize that at the same time no more cold beer, muuuuch worse then the website