Dreamhost and drupal

Hi,

I posted recently about textpattern support. I’ve done some more research and now drupal has caught my eye. Does dreamhost support drupal?

Would anyone be able to share the experiences with either of these tools? I’m doing this for a church website, so there will be a mix of static content, dynamic content, pictures, blogs, and hopefully video.

Thanks…

It’s not “supported” but some people use it.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Drupal

For officially supported, have a look at Joomla, which has a one-click install.

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Note, non-profits can get free L4 hosting with Dreamhost.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

as mentioned by wholly. DreamHost offers a FREE Strictly Business plan to non-profit, charitable, organizations registered in the United States. You may want to refer to this for more information. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Non-profit_Discount[

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=curious&Number=72677

See, it’s really true. As mentioned by Anonymous2, Nathan823, Wholly, Nathan823 again, and now Anonymous2 again, non-profits can get free L4 hosting with Dreamhost.

:smiley:

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Cut me some slack, it was a new thread at least.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

Dreamhost supports Drupal fine. I have two Drupal powered websites on my Dreamhost account (one version 4.7 and one version 5.1), and there are no issues yet, except that I cannot use a Drupal module called Mailhandler ‘out-of-the-box’, because it needs some kind of IMAP PHP module, which my shared Dreamhost account doesn’t support.

Mailhandler is for when you want to post contents to your site via e-mail. There IS a workaround, where you compile your own PHP on your account, but that means you have do all maintenance yourself afterwards (security updates etc), and it IS serious nerd stuff (not difficult as such, but incomprehensible).

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Custom_compile_PHP_5

I second the comments by jd7. I have 4-5 Drupal powered sites under Dreamhost accounts. They’re running pretty well except for the limitation that DreamHost does not support the IMAP_OPEN extension to PHP. To use that, as jd7 said, you have to compile your own custom version of PHP.

DreamHost does have a suggestions section where they allow account holders to vote for suggested service improvements. In the Software Installations section (https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg&category=Software Installations), you can vote for Install the PHP “IMAP module” suggestion, which has been out there since 2004-07-01.

Right, thanks, I’ve voted for it! ð:-)

Hi, just jumping in with a quick question - what about clean URL’s?

from the manual, it looks like i need to edit my apache settings as follows:
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
AddModule mod_rewrite.c

is this possible without a dedicated server?

thanks!

I have no problem at all with clean URLs on my ‘crazy domain insane’ shared hosting account. It is just a question of doing a standard installation of Drupal, and then activate the clean URLs on the administration pages.

hmmmm that’s weird.

i installed 5.1 today and it is greyed out. (I have the same account as you as DH).

i assume you’re using 5.1 also? any thoughts?

thanks

[quote]LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
AddModule mod_rewrite.c[/quote]
I am not sure why you are having problems activating ‘clean URLs’, but mod_rewrite is available on all shared accounts.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yes, you have to test it first. There should be a clean URL test link on your [domain]/admin/settings/clean-urls page.

If it is still greyed out after running the test, then you have some problem that I haven’t run in to yet.

i finally found the answer in the docs…

since I’m just messing with it at this point, i put it in a sub-directory. I had to upload a .htaccess file with the following:
RewriteBase /drupal (since I named the directory drupal)

thanks for your help… since I knew it should work - i didn’t give up! :slight_smile: