Dreamhost allows SPAM to get to us!

Sorry folks, but I just signed up with DreamHost today and I will be leaving them this week because DreamHost is setup in a way that ALLOWS SPAM TO GET TO US!!! Today, I just created 6 new email addresses that I have NEVER USED BEFORE IN MY LIFE. About 3 hours later, I started receiving spam on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE EMAIL ADDRESSES – I have never even given out those email addresses to anybody yet! These are brand new email addresses! So lo & behold, I look at the long Internet headers on the incoming spam messages – and they are all addressed to those 8-digit user ID numbers that DreamHost associates with our email accounts!! DreamHost clearly uses sequential numbers, and WHAT THIS MEANS IS THAT THE SPAMMERS OUT THERE KNOW THAT DREAMHOST USES SEQUENTIAL NUMBERING, AND THE SPAMMERS OUT THERE KNOW THE NAMES OF ALL THE DREAMHOST SERVERS – AND THEREFORE, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF PUTTING THE TWO OF THEM TOGETHER to spam everyone at DreamHost! Sorry folks, but this is absolutely insane. No other web hosting company except for DreamHost uses sequential numbers to represent email addresses, and I will be switching away to another company who doesn’t allow spam to get to me like this. STICK WITH DREAMHOST IF YOU LIKE SPAM. Otherwise, do what I’m doing and get out of dodge.

That’s funny, my unused account hasn’t had any spam yet. Four months and counting.

MacManX.com

Nothing here. Not been here for long but email has been active since signing up. No spam.

Hi Scotty,
it’s not good to hear that you get spam on your new addresses. You didn’t describe this a lot though – perhaps the spam is simply sent to a gazillion random addresses and you simply got hit by chance. Did you turn on the spam filter?
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.junk&

I don’t think that the spam is actually sent to your mailbox names, but the headers can be confusing about this, especially if the sender “cheats” and sends out incomplete headers because then the DreamHost mail server has to fill in some values and that makes it look worse than it really is. Also, the numbers aren’t really sequential; if you create six in a row then you’ll see that the numbers are very different from each other (at least when I did this).

If you’re new here, then you can take advantage of the 91-day money-back guarantee. You could also wait until you’re at “day 89” before leaving – so you get more time to try out this host.

Best of luck,

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

ARE YOU SURE TORBEN?!?! I THIN KYOU SHOULD GET A LITTLE MORE EXCITED!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

COULD YOU SEND US EXAMPLES WITH THE FULL HEADERS OF THE MESSAGES ALONG WITH YOUR SUPPORT REQUEST?