DreamHost 50gb Backup storage for Domains Only Account

I am curious: does someone who does not have hosting with DreamHost (but has a few domains registered with DreamHost) still get the free 50gb backup storage?

I have a few of my client’s domains on my account, but want to move them to their own account. Will they get that storage still?

Also, I currently have hosting on my DreamHost account, but have been slowly moving things over to some DigitalOcean instances. However, I still have all of my domains registered with DreamHost, and still use DreamObjects.

Will my 50gb of storage be removed if I cancel all hosting but keep everything else?

The backup user is only available with a hosting plan. If you don’t have hosting, you don’t get that feature. Sorry!

If you need some extra space to stash some files without a hosting plan, have you considered using DreamObjects? It’s not free, but 50 GB of storage is pretty cheap at $1.25/month. (That’s way cheaper than the storage overages on the backup user, by the way.)

Thanks Andrew. I Had a suspicion that would be the case.

I have been playing around with DreamObjects as a back-up source and it seems to be working fine, and the cost has so far been around 25 cents.

So what will happen to my back-up account once I cancel my hosting. Will it just be deleted straight-away or will I start getting charged for the files there?

Cloud storage continues to fall in price…

And for 2.50 a month you can get 1 TB. https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

Also I don’t know about other MS Office licenses, but if you have the $99/year 5-user office365 each of the 5 users gets there own 1TB onedrive space.

and although the MS marketing propaganda mentions windows, mac and every mobile platform… it forgets linux… never fear tho… just google “onedrive for linux”.

Like any other user on your DreamHost account, the backups user will become inaccessible when you cancel your hosting, and the files stored on it may be deleted within 30 to 60 days.

Although it looks great, I think I would rather be branded with hot irons than ever have to use a Microsoft product again…Well, one instance of Windows 7 in a VirtualBox for checking how websites look in IE …

In all honesty, if I got to the point of needing a TB, I think I would rather have a couple of big hard drives running in my server.

At the moment, DreamObjects seem to be meeting my backup needs for 25 cents a month…that will probably go up to $1.50, which is still within what I would be willing to pay. Beyond that I would just start looking for Hard Drives on sale at Newegg

I had a feeling that might be the case. I will make sure to deal with those files before cancelling anything.

Point taken. counterpoint tho… if that’s the price at M$, and that is brand new price but it doesn’t say limited time only, it will soon be the price elsewhere too most likely :wink: As I started out… “Cloud storage continues to fall in price…”

Very true!

With the news of leaks and compromised accounts from cloud storage providers, one of the nice things about the backups user is that there are purportedly no backups of the data stored there. If that is true, when you delete your data, it really is gone. Of course, the flip side is that there is no guarantee of durability. If you use the backups user account to keep an actual backup, then that shouldn’t be a problem. The more data that’s pushed to the cloud, the more I appreciate my encrypted backups on in my backups user account!

I wonder, audibly, if DH will increase the storage allocation any time soon to keep up with falling storage prices as LakeRat notes.

[quote=“bobocat, post:9, topic:61798”]
With the news of leaks and compromised accounts from cloud storage providers[/quote]This caught my attention - I thought “what leaks?”. You mean the single provider Apple and the iCloud? Or have there been more? Many of these cloud storage providers advertise VERY high security, with encryption in both directions over the wire, and encryption on their servers. So the only way to get unencrypted data “should be” to use the user/password of the account that stored the data. And That, reportedly, is exactly what happened. Now, that’s not a problem with storage providers. We’re all susceptible to this with any service on the planet, especially those who make poor choices for passwords.

I’m not trying to challenge you. I really would like to know if there’s some general issue going on in this area.

Thanks.