Downtime, usage and RAM upgrading

I’ve been having trouble with downtime over the past few months.

In past month I’ve had 2h 39m 57s of downtime on 10 occasions. This is on a VPS with the minimum RAM guarantees is 300 MB on ps40070.

Support say that my PS server is actually hitting the allocated RAM limit a number of times. It happens so fast that my usage charts can’t update (we’re talking milli-seconds here).

I have made all the usual speed tweaks (caching, minimizing and checking access logs) and I can’t find anything out of the ordinary.

The sites on this server get less than 30,000 visitors a month. I can’t find any bandwidth stats on the panel.

How can I find out why these RAM spikes are occurring?

How can I find out how much RAM in need to upgrade to?

What are you running on it?

5 or so sites all running on WordPress. Or do you mean which versions of PHP, etc.?

yes, and the plugins. it’s hard to tell you what’s causing it if you don’t say what programs you are using.

one thing you can do is check your logs. there’s a folder called resources. Check the one called itemized and it will tell you how much time and memory each and every process used. you can at least see how much you are using and possibly match it with the log files and see what function of your site is causing the sites

At the moment I have 7 sites all have Akismet, Contact Form 7, All-in-One SEO, Google XML Sitemaps, W3 Total Cache.

on top of those:

1 has My Brand Login, Peter’s Login Redirect as well
1 has Filosofo’s Home page change
1 has WP Multi-lingual, UnderConstruction, Multiple Post Thumbnails, Multiple Post Thumbnails
1 has NextGEN photo gallery
1 has Share and Follow, Feedburner Feedsmith

And my site which has the lion’s share of the traffic has AddToAny: Share/Bookmark/Email Button, Feedburner Feed Replacement, HeadSpace2 (instead of All in One SEO), NextGEN Gallery, RSS Footer, Related Posts, Smart Archives Reloaded, Subscribe to Comments, WP Touch.

I can’t find the folder called “resources”. I have a folder called “logs”.

Whilst I was writing this the server went down again. I got “establishing database error” etc. and I couldn’t log in via Shell. This happens all the time!

Thanks for your response.

if I recall correctly, the All-in-One SEO plugin is explicitly banned on shared hosting. I assume it’s because it tends to use a lot of resources. I don’t know much about it, but try disabling that one for a while.

resources is inside of logs[hr]
an example: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/all-in-one-seo-plugin-amp-heavy-usage-bug

All-in-One SEO plugin is one of the most popular plug-ins used in WordPress. I have been using it on shared servers on multiple sites with no problems. Does DH have a problem with it and no one else does? If that’s the case, shouldn’t DH tell you that when you sign up with them?

Anyway, I have deactivated all the All-in-One SEO plugins (actually there were only 2) and replaced one with Yoast SEO. The site with the most visitors uses the Headspace 2 SEO plug-in.

Inside logs, I have folders of the site URLs. Inside them I have “http” and “http.14407917”. Inside those I have error logs and access logs but no resourses.

Thank you.

i believe they do tell you in the terms and conditions which you agree to when you sign up for an account.

if you don’t have a resources folder, then you’ll need to activate it in the panel. there’s an option somewhere to track resource usage.

Thanks, I’ve written to support to try find out how I can activate this.

The TOS that was linked to in the WP forum thread you linked to doesn’t mention All-in-One http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html

But not to worry, I most likely wouldn’t have read it even if it was there!

[quote]
If that’s the case, shouldn’t DH tell you that when you sign up with them?[/quote]

Then I’m wasting my time.

I don’t think either of us are wasting time as we are pointing out important points that DH can do better. Even if I wouldn’t read the whole of a TOS some people will and some people will benefit from reading it.

And maybe DH can read this and address these issues…

good luck on that one.