Double-checking .ca domain hosting

Okay, so I created a “booger.ca” hosting in my Dreamhost control panel, and uploaded all of my “booger.ca” files as they exist on my old host into the “booger.ca” folder.

Now when my registrar updates the dns information to point to Dreamhost, the “booger.ca” on Dreamhost should kick in, right? It doesn’t seem to be happening, but not much time has elapsed, so I’m not sure what’s going on… if I’ve screwed up somehow, or what.

if you just registered a domain name in DH, it takes some time for server to propagate the change.

and if you just signed up an account, it also takes some time for DH to approve the account. You can check account status in DH panel --> Billing --> Manage Accounts

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Yep, assuming you have updated the name servers at your registrar to point to ns1.dreamhost.com etc.

It does take some time for the new DNS information to propagate around the Internet, up to 72 hours in some cases. It may even take longer if your registrar is a little tardy in updating the DNS records in the first place.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

That is unlikely, since you can not register .ca domains here at DreamHost. :wink:

If he managed to add the domain via the panel, then his hosting account is obviously approved and active.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

So I’ll just hope that the DNS is being tardy, then. There’s been a confluence of weiiird things happening with the registrar (also my former host), and I’m having trouble getting confirmation that they’ve updated the DNS.

Quick reply to say all’s well now. Thanks for the reassurances.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know Matthew, many people don’t bother and we are left wondering if the problem was indeed resolved.

You are more than welcome. :slight_smile:

Mark