Domains with DNS at another place

I have quiet an amount of domains at registerfly and at a danish service called gratisdns (free DNS).

The domain at registerfly, I normally use by entering the nameserver of my host, and then at my host cretaing the domain in the control-panel. Then it works with no problem. Is this also possible at Dreamhost?

The DNS of my danish domains is controlled via the free DNS-service gratisdns.dk. Here it is possible to make a a-record for the domain, that points it to my host via an IP-number. Also at my normal host I can ad the domain in the control-panel, and it now works fine. Is this possible at Dreamhost?

The reason for asking, is that I like the flexibility of setting up a domain without having to wait for a transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Brgds
Knut

Hello Knut,

To host your domains with DreamHost you just have to go to Registerfly and set the dns to:

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

and create the account in your control panel. Or you can first create the account in your control panel, upload your contents, and just then point the domain to DreamHost’s dns.

You decide. It works great.

Note: I use 7 registrars and RegisterFly is the slowest to update to the new DNS.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answer. That was for half of my domains.

What about using the a-record from another DNS? Any experience with that?

Never tried that, so I can’t give you a personal experience. Lets wait that other members can help.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Hey Knut,

No problem. I just did this with one of my sites. My client changed the server settings to point to Dreamhost at their registrar (not at DH). Then I made a new A name with the IP address and then made a new MX record. The site is hosted at DH and they get their mail in their office on an Exchange server. Control panel at DH lets you set the A name and custom MX records. See the wiki for more
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Main_Page

i have been using a records for sometime now, for my domains hosted at zoneedit.com
havent had any trouble with it, as long, as they are BINDed on the host server

BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net