Domainitron.com

Hi

I’m just wondering if there any plans to add support for .co.uk tlds to the domainitron service?

• wil

Hi Wil -

I’m not entirely sure if it’s possible, but that’s definitely a TLD we’d be interested in supporting. We were recently ICANN accredited, but I’m not sure what the process is for gaining registrar status for .co.uk domains.

Anyone? Will?

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

NIC.UK (Nominet UK) is the registrar for co.uk, org.uk, net.uk, ltd.uk, plc.uk, sch.uk and me.uk second-level domains.

Their website is at -> http://www.nic.uk/

• wil

It looks like we could apply to become members if we wanted (and if we felt we’d be able to do enough volume to make it worthwhile).

http://www.nic.uk/ref/tags2.html

OpenSRS does seem to do co.uk., org.uk. and some others - if we wanted, we could probably offer these domain names through them.

OpenSRS does seem to do co.uk., org.uk. and some others - if we wanted, we could probably offer these domain names through them.

We get enough .co.uk requests to make it worthwhile, I think. It’s a relatively common TLD.

Thing is, we might be moving away from OpenSRS at some point in the future, once we get all the ICANN ‘stuff’ handled. I’m not sure on the specifics.

If we can do it at a reasonable cost, I’m all for it.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

It’s funny you mention volume there.

I was thinking to myself earlier – I’m sure there will be a time soon that you’ll see a dramatic decline the registration levels of .com, .net and other top level domains simpyl because all available combinations are being eatten up.

I wonder what will be the “next big thing” after .com?

• wil

That’s another 3 .co.uk domains I registered elsewhere today … :slight_smile:

• wil

you defiantly should apply , its a nightmare over there.
its free for you guys, i don’t see why not
i as individual tried to apply at nominet did not even got a reply ever
if you guys would have a tag nr i would definitely move my uk service over.

The only problem is that w/o a “tag” you can’t update the dns for uk domains.
how ever those people in England came up with this terrible idea.

the registration is not a big deal , thats easy to find, the problem is the hosting, i like to have all my domains on the same server, i cant do that if i can’t update the dns, and i can only update the dns if you have a “TAG” for .uk

[quote]i cant do that if i can’t update the dns, and i can only
update the dns if you have a “TAG” for .uk

[/quote]

Just curious, what is this ‘tag’? Is it some sort of approval process potential registrars need to complete?

• Jeff @ DreamHost

And another 4 today. :slight_smile:

• wil

And another 1 today. :slight_smile:

There really is no good domain registration here in the UK. They’re all a bit ‘dodgy’ and frankly I don’t trust them.

• wil