Domain won't work

Trying to set up an account with dreamhost, but it won’t accept a domain that begins with numbers. Any idea why?

I have domains hosted here that start with a number, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

I didn’t register the names here, if that’s where you’re having a problem, but they are hosted here.

While I know that there are domains that start with numbers out there, it’s pretty likely that our system doesn’t allow them to be registered (through us). If I recall correctly, technically they aren’t supposed to begin with a number.

Someone else could probably shed some more light on that…

But yes, if it’s against the spec, we quite likely don’t allow them. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

IIRC, a domain name must begin and end with a letter or number. It cannot begin or end with a hyphen. So numbers at the beginning should be fine.

• wil

I did a little digging, and found this:

http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/rfc1035/rfc1035.html#2.3.1.

"Note that while upper and lower case letters are allowed in domain names, no significance is attached to the case. That is, two names with the same spelling but different case are to be treated as if identical.

The labels must follow the rules for ARPANET host names. They must start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior characters only letters, digits, and hyphen. There are also some restrictions on the length. Labels must be 63 characters or less."

Of course, as is the case with many RFCs, this one could have been superseded at some point. And as everyone knows, a de-facto standard or convention often trumps the official standard over time.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Hm, I’m pretty sure that RFC has been superseded as you suspect, or that the whole domain name system has resolved into one big mess. :slight_smile:

There are millions of domains out there that being with a number and not a letter, and they all seem to work fine. I couldn’t find any other RFC or anything on W3, but I found this:

http://domainnotes.com/faq/article/0,3371_349021,00.html

from Internet.com

• wil

[quote]Hm, I’m pretty sure that RFC has been superseded as you
suspect, or that the whole domain name system has resolved
into one big mess. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Well, I think the latter is pretty much true, whether or not that RFC has been superseded. :>

[quote]There are millions of domains out there that being with a
number and not a letter, and they all seem to work fine. I
couldn’t find any other RFC or anything on W3, but I found
this:

[/quote]

Interesting. I’m not sure where they’re getting their information, though. Don’t know.

In any case, ‘pure’ standards and ‘de facto’ standards are funny things, and often don’t agree. For instance, I seem to recall that technically according to standard you can have spaces in email addresses, but I can’t guess at how many email clients would choke on such an address.

Double-L Will is sort of a resident expert on all things DNS related… Maybe he’ll drop by with something to add? :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Space? Hmm… Maybe you’re thinking of exlamation marks (!) ?

• wil

Nope. I recalled reading about this in an O’Reilly book, and did some searching. I found this:

http://sseti.udg.es/marga/books/O’Reilly-The_Linux_Web_Server-CD-Bookshelfv1.0/linux_web/cgi/ch09_02.htm

It looks like it’s defined in RFC 822.

“Spaces (and tabs) are legal between any element and at the beginning and end of the email address. However, it doesn’t change the meaning to remove them and that is exactly what emailers generally do when you send a message to an email address containing spaces. Note, however, that you cannot simply remove every space in an email address since spaces appearing within quotes do carry meaning and must be left intact. Only those appearing outside of quotes can be removed.”

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Received an email back from Dreamhost about a week and a half ago saying they’d pass it on to teir 1 support. Havn’t heard back since.

The main thing I look for in an ISP is support. Then the stuff I need. I must say that the information you guys have is pretty good, but trying to set up an account with dreamhost is very hard to do because I can’t seem to get ahold of anyone. Most other places at least have a phone number to give a credit card to, or return an email within a day or two at the latest.

I’m not mad or anything, and I’m still wanting to sign up with dreamhost. I just hope that when I am signed up and my site goes down that I can somehow get through to dreamhost and not have the site be down for a few weeks. ;(

Hi Anonymous -

Can you send me an email (jeff@dreamhost.com)? Users should always always always receive an email back. Messages should remain in queues until someone answers them, and a week-old message would attract attention. If you haven’t gotten a message yet, you probably won’t - I’m not sure why, but would like to figure it out.

Anyhow, please send me a message at the above address and I’ll look into it. I apologize for the problem; You sound far more patient than you should have to be. :expressionless:

• Jeff @ DreamHost