Domain without web site

Is there any way to register a domain without a web site? I just registered a new domain, but do not want to display any web site on that domain (yet). Right now there is a file index page displayed without any files. I would prefer that the website status in whois just be listed as “no website” instead of showing a blank page in the browser or having the site a re-direct to another site. How would I go about removing the site altogether from a newly registered domain? Thanks.

You should be able to simply remove the domain from the DreamHost hosting system by going to Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel and clicking the small X under the Web Hosting column.

After a little while, the domain should throw an error when you try to browse to it.

Edit: Another option would be to create a .htaccess file with the line below and place it in the domain’s web directory.

Options -indexes

This will result in a ‘Forbidden’ error if you try to browse to the domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)