Domain transfers to DreamHost

I’d like to transfer several domain registrations to DreamHost, but there’s about 8 months remaining on my registrations. Will DreamHost extend my registrations from the current expiry date by one year? Or will my registrations be restarted from the date of transfer, thus throwing away the remaining time with my current registrar?

Your registration will be extended from the current expiry by one year. Remember that you can only transfer .com/net/org/info domains!

extra domains and the new maximum $50 off with codes [color=#CC0000]1DOM50, 2DOM50 and 3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

I did not know this.

So if somebody has a domain name other than this and wish to host it in DH, the person has no choice to but keep the domain with its original registrar and only host it in DH by modifying the DNS. Am I right?

Save $50 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]50YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

That is correct. For example, I have .us, .mobi and .co.uk domains that are hosted with DreamHost, but registered elsewhere. Shame really - I’d rather have them all here for the convenience.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Well, they don’t have to keep it with its original registrar; they can move it to any registrar that provides registration services for the relevant TLD.

You are correct though, that they cannot register the domain with DreamHost serving as the registrar, and will need to set the namservers to DreamHost’s nameserver with whoever is the registrar for that domain. :wink:

–rlparker

rlparker, scjessey

Thanks for the clarification.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Save $50 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]50YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

So does anyone know what keeps Dreamhost from being the registrar for additional TLDs? Is it cost?

I want more convenience! :slight_smile:

extra domains and the new maximum $50 off with codes [color=#CC0000]1DOM50, 2DOM50 and 3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

Some of it is due to certain country policies.

For example we have .com.hk for a website in Hong Kong. Now in order to get that you have to actually have a Hong Kong ID for a personal email (eg stevesmith.com.hk can only be registered by somebody called Steve Smith holding a valid HK ID) or a company business registration related to that domain.

As a result the only registrat we can use is HKDNR or one of its affiliates.

$50 Discount 1LUCID50 Sign up now

I’m not sure the procedure and cost for DH to register have domains like .biz, .co, .us, .cn, etc. But it will be good for us if we can register them in DH.

I’m caught in a registration transfer from Yahoo to Dreamhost that I want to cancel. Both do nothing but say only the other can cancel it… I am in the middle with no place to go! Any suggestions?

Well, I think it depends on whether it’s actually going through or not - that is, it depends on where you are in the process.

I know that Dreamhost requires email verification from the contact email address at Yahoo. Did you do that already? Also, does Yahoo still think that it is your registrar for that domain? If so, maybe you can just lock the domain and prevent the transfer from occurring.

I do know that if you do think that the transfer request is going to fail, Dreamhost can cancel their side of the failed transfer to allow you to initiate it again. I’ve had to do that at least once.

BTW, it’s too late now but you should really start your own thread rather than just using someone else’s thread for your questions. It makes it easier for everyone - both the OP, the responders, and everyone else who has to read the whole thread only to figure out that there’s a new topic/question at the end unrelated to the original thread. I know that your thread is about domain transfer, but people don’t need to read the whole thread in order to understand your question. It’s no biggie so don’t panic, but I thought I’d try to provide some advice for the future!

Dear Lensman,

Patrick in customer support team wrote to me, "We have done it in the past, against the will of our Admins and they’ve finally stopped that. " and because of that my business is at a complete and total standstill! It took 2 days and countless email to get that honest answer.

BTW this is my 1st time posting to a forum.

Ah, well.

But wait, why is your business at a standstill? I would have thought a domain transfer would be relatively painless if both the old and new registrar pointed to the same nameservers?