Domain transfer

Hi folks,

I have a simple question regarding the transfer of domains. If I register the free domain at DreamHost, am I able to transfer it away? If so do I have to pay for it or is it still free?

All my domain names are registered in one place, so it makes sense for me to register every domain there, if Dreamhost honor the free domain even if I will transfer it away then I’ll do it, otherwise I’ll just pass this freebie. :slight_smile:

Yes, you can transfer it to another registrar, but I believe you will have to wait 60 days after registration to do so.

You will have to pay whatever registration fees the other registrar charges.

The way DreamHost handles the ‘free’ domain is simple; Every year, just before your plan anniversary date, you are given one ‘domain credit’ you can use this credit to renew your initial ‘free’ domain, or register an entirely new domain. I guess in your case you will just accumulate these credits, unless you use them to register other domains.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Thanks for your prompt reply Raz2133. Please let me clarify,

Yes, I am aware of this. :slight_smile:

Does that mean I register the domain for free, after 60 days or so I transfer it away (and pay $ to the new registrar). I do NOT have to pay anything to Dreamhost for this domain, am I correct?

Correct, well you will still be paying for the ‘free’ domain indirectly through your hosting fees, but you will not be charged any extra fees for the domain. Once it has been transferred away, any costs you incur for that domain will be from your other registrar.

Note; If you take advantage of the 97 day money back guarantee, you will not be refunded for the cost of the domain, you will instead be refunded whatever you paid for the hosting, minus a $9.95 fee for the domain.

Also, even after you have transferred the domain, you will still receive the one ‘free’ domain credit per year, what you do with this credit is your choice.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Let’s make a short sentence. The payment for the free domain name is not refundable.

The payment is included in the hosting package which is 9.9/yr. As mark said, DH will refund you the hosting fee minus 9.9

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Thanks for the answer guys!

No, I’m not intending to get a refund or anything, I’ve been with Dreamhost since 2005. All I want to do is to transfer away the domain name because all my domains are registered in a single place and that’s where I manage all of 'em. :wink:

Canglan, I also haven’t used the free domain because I’m used to register my domains, not accepting freebies :slight_smile:
I may use it someday…

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef