Domain Transfer

I have looked up as much info on this as I can, but it seems just too simple that I want human conformation that I have the right idea on how I would be transfering a domain.
Transfering being moving the whole domain to dreamhost where if I am to renew it, it is dreamhost that I will be paying for the renew, and it will also point to my site on dreamhost.

First, when selecting a plan, for the domain, I would want to check this:
I already own a domain, I just want to host it with you (you can still register a free domain later)!

Right?

And then, as I read, all I need to do then is have my current host change the DNS settings to:
ns1.dreamhost.com: 66.33.206.206 ns2.dreamhost.com: 66.201.54.66 ns3.dreamhost.com: 66.33.216.216

And thats it?
I want the move to be as smooth as possible, and this is one thing that I want to go as fast as I can get it done, so I want to make sure I have the right idea.

Thanks.

Anyone? I want to move real soon, but won’t until I am sure of what I’m doing.

That will move the hosting so that visitors to your site will get the pages from Dreamhost’s servers. It sounds like you also want to move the registration. For that, you will need to request a domain transfer via your control panel.

After you’ve changed the nameservers and you’re confident everything’s working properly, follow the instructions in the Support Wiki article here.

[quote]First, when selecting a plan, for the domain, I would want to check this:
I already own a domain, I just want to host it with you (you can still register a free domain later)!

Right?[/quote]
No. If you want to host the site at DreamHost and have DreamHost handle the domain registration then you need to select the option that says;

[color=#0000CC]I already own a domain, I want to host it AND transfer the registration for free!
(Please change your nameservers (to ns1.dreamhost.com, etc…) before the transfer.
Domains must be unlocked and not created in the last 60 days to transfer.)[/color]

Of-course, if you did select the option you listed, you can still transfer the registration later via the web panel.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thankyou all very much.

You are more than welcome :slight_smile:

Have you transfered to DreamHost yet? Did the procedure go smoothly for you?

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )