Domain transfer to dreamhost

Hi, i have a few question about domain transfer to dreamhost.

1.- to start the transfer i need to change the DNS of my domain in my actual host?

2.- when i change it, i go to the domain section “reg transfer” in my dreamhost panel and complete it?

3.- I have to pay something?

other question, before i transfer my domain, can i use a “generic” xxxxxxxx.dreamhosters.com domain? to install and “play” with my php scripts?

Yes, see the wiki

Regards,
Rudy

You don’t need to do this. However, if you want the transfer to be as seamless as possible, you would set up your site here at DreamHost, change the DNS, then the final step would be to transfer registration.

Yes, remember a couple of tricks to success:

1. Make sure domain privacy is turned off at your old registrar. DreamHost sends a confirmation link to the email address on record, so if you have domain privacy on at your old registrar, you won’t be able to complete the transfer.
  2. Read the other restrictions on the domain transfer page.

Dreamhost will only do transfers if you renew your domain registration for a year. This will extend your registration for an extra year, so it’s not like you’re actually paying for the transfer, but you are forced to cough up the $9.95 for the registration extension a few months earlier. OTOH, if you still have the free registration available that you get with a hosting account, you can “use” that free registration for this transfer.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

When I went to my old host, I told them that I wanted to redirect a couple of my domain names to my new domain name that is hosted here. They told me that they needed the IP address. When I looked at my IP address, I saw that ALL of the subdomains seem to have the same IP address. How would a redirect know where to go? It seems like each subdomain should have a separate IP. Am I wrong about that? And if that’s not true - do I need to open an additional account for each domain name that I wis h to transfer here?
Thanks for the help,
Milt Lee

In web parlance, the word “redirect” has specific meaning. Since an IP address is not needed for a redirect, I assume you are using the term conceptually. Are you splitting hosting between two ISPs?

[quote]
ALL of the subdomains seem to have the same IP address. How would a redirect know where to go?[/quote]
When a browser sends a request to a web server, it includes a header which contains the domain name you are trying to access. This is why multiple domains can be on a single IP address.

While you can do what your other ISP is asking you to do, keep in mind the IP address may change.

If your site is moved to a new server, or DH moves the server to another data center, or changes the IP address for any other reason, your site will be “broken” until you figure out the address changed, change it in the other ISP’s DNS server, and wait for the new address to propagate.

You can have as many domains as you want (to pay for) in one account. Having more than one (billing) account is actually against the DH rules. You can have more than one user account in a billing account.

I could say more about these things, but it is probably better to digest this first, and then ask follow up questions.

Regards,
Rudy

OK, so I am not planning on splitting hosting. I just want to use dreamhost. I have a domain name that is not registered here at dreamhost. What I want to do is to set it up so that when somebody clicks on my old address- http://hollowbonefilms.com - that they are automatically directed to my new domain name here at dreamhost: http://hollowbonefilms.manykites.org

Can you tell me where I can do that - here at dreamhost - or does that all happen at my old ISP?

Thanks for the help!!
Milt Lee

You could just redirect the nameservers to DH.

All the info you need to do that can be found in this link from the wiki.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Transfer_your_site_to_us

Any other option would likely require hosting at the registrar’s systems to do a “redirect” - Trust me, it’s easier to just point the nameservers and then you don’t have to have a “multilayer” domain.

I may have not read carefully enough (and the other guys here are really good) but from your last message it really seems that it’s as simple (now) as pointing your registrar’s DNS records to Dreamhost’s nameservers so that your hosting can be provided from here at Dreamhost.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

[quote]OK, so I am not planning on splitting hosting. I just want to use dreamhost. I have a domain name that is not registered here at dreamhost. What I want to do is to set it up so that when somebody clicks on my old address- http://hollowbonefilms.com - that they are automatically directed to my new domain name here at dreamhost: http://hollowbonefilms.manykites.org

Can you tell me where I can do that - here at dreamhost - or does that all happen at my old ISP?[/quote]
There are a couple of ways to literally do what you want:

1. Just have the domain redirected at your old host.
  2. (I’d pick this one) Change the nameservers for your old domain at your old registrar to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com. You can then add hosting for your domain here at dreamhost (“Domains>Manage Domains>Add Domain / Sub-Domain” in the panel) and just make it a redirected domain.

I’m kinda assuming you already have your new domain already set up here. If not, you should know that you can host multiple domains here at dreamhost so if you want, you can just add hosting for your old domain here. I don’t know your exact situation so I’m just guessing at what would work out best for you.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

The reason why you want the nameservers to point to DH is that the IP addresses of your servers may change at any time and when you add a DB server you WILL be on a different machine altogether - as is the mail server at mail.mydomain.tld.

There are just too many things to track thus if you point the records (stored at your domain registrar) to DH’s name servers, DH’s systems will work like a champ no matter what goes on. Otherwise you’ll have to muck about with updating DNS servers at the registrar every time a db server or mail server changes. (note, DH uses a “mail cluster” so you could actually get different ip addresses for mail.mydomain.tld every time you ask for it)

I hope this helps rather than confuses things.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!