Domain transfer only

several questions on getting a domain transfered to dream host.

1. do you get whois protection on your domain transfer? free or with extra cost?

2. how much does it really cost you to just transfer your domain to dreamhost? with whois privacy?

ok. i guess it’s just those two. i know i sound redundant. but i’m curious.

Whois protection (anonymous contact info) is free. They only charge $9.95 per year, and there’s no transfer fee.

-Scott

just so i’m clear, i need to ask this again. i am not interested in getting the hosting plan. so, does that mean when i only transfer my domain to dreamhost i will be paying only $9.95? is that right?

That is correct.

DreamHost offers two services: Web Hosting, and Domain Registration. You’ll be paying only for the Domain Registration service.

-Scott

Without hosting plan, you won’t be able to host any files for your domain. A lot of functions like FTP will be disabled in your account.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Well, and one extra piece of information that has occasionally eluded registration-only customers’ notice is that registration-only customers don’t get DNS services. So although you can set the DNS hosts for your domain, you can’t manage your DNS records unless you get a third-party DNS management service. There are a few good free DNS services out there and many pay ones.

DNS services are only available with a hosting account here at Dreamhost.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

What do you mean?

Aren’t you given the ability to edit the nameserver where your domain is pointing to?

I currently have a hosting plan from another host. I would love to move to Dreamhost but I will do that once I am done with my host.

For now, I just want to change my domain host to Dreamhost because my current host wants to charge me a ridiculous amount of money just to have my WHOIS information protected.

So, am I allowed to do that at all?

[quote]What do you mean?

Aren’t you given the ability to edit the nameserver where your domain is pointing to?[/quote]
Yes, you can do that. I’m just pointing out that that’s the only thing you can do. About half the posts we get here from registration-only customers ask how they should go about setting the ‘A’ records for their domain, or how to set up subdomains, or how to point their domain to their dynamic IP address of their cable modem.

[quote]For now, I just want to change my domain host to Dreamhost because my current host wants to charge me a ridiculous amount of money just to have my WHOIS information protected.

So, am I allowed to do that at all?[/quote]
Yes, you can easily set the nameservers for your domain to those of your original host.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

i just want thank you guys for the responses. you’re all very helpful. i moved my domain to dreamhost and i am soooooo happy about the privacy. i was very astonished at how fast and easy everything went! ahhh i love this place!

Hey, we’re all just happy to help you. Apologies for not being crystal clear in my first reply. I didn’t mean to create concern. I just wanted to make sure you understood all the fine print (which from your reply is obvious that you did originally anyway).

Glad to have you here and welcome!