Domain transfer between two dreamhost accounts

Hey all,

I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion on how to do this correctly.

Currently a friend has a domain name registered and hosted through Dreamhost, as well as I have all of my domains here too. We need to transfer one domain over to my control as well as the hosting.

I am not too worried about the content under the site for now, as I will recreate the site, but I need to worry about how to juggle the dns

I figure I can have him transfer me the site through the domain transfer feature, but then after that since the site is already pointing to Dreamhost for the DNS, do we just need to have him remove the hosting under his account and create it under mine for the site to redirect correctly?

If anyone has an easier way of managing this, please by all means let me know!

thanks!

[quote=“Maxtastic, post:1, topic:53173”]
… I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion on how to do this correctly.

… If anyone has an easier way of managing this, please by all means let me know![/quote]
The full process for moving domains between accounts is listed here:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Move_Domain_Between_Accounts

(note the restrictions section regarding promo codes an referrers)

Since you are moving this between two existing accounts, you will want to use the instructions in the “# 4 Moving a Domain to an existing account (Old Account to Old Account move)” section.

Note that you can move the hosting without moving the domain registration, but if you do want to move the registration you handle it like any other domain registration transfer (on the old account, set the domain to unlocked, make sure whois contacts are up to date, obtain authorization code, then go to the new account and initiate the transfer).

When you move the hosting from one account to another new DNS is set up (as the IP address/Server changes), so the process detailed in the above link is what you use to move hosting or a domain between accounts.

We’re in this position too - we want to take over a website from the previous developer who is also on Dreamhost.

The big issue for us is downtime. What is the time delay between the domain being deleted from the old account and being able to add the domain to the new account?

(The domain registration is elsewhere, so that’s not a problem. We can also use external DNS with a very short TTL to give us fine control.)

If the delay is only a few minutes, that’s OK.

If the delay is a few hours, we might want to do the transfer in the middle of the night.

If the delay is more than a few hours, we would have to work around it by temporarily hosting the site elsewhere. We can do a zero-downtime transfer off Dreamost and a zero-downtime transfer back onto Dreamhost later, but this is more hassle.