Domain to Subdomain Swap Fail

Thanks in advance for any help! I’m not that knowledgable when it comes to this stuff so apologies as well! I have a site hosted on Dreamhost. It was an iWeb creation and I wanted to change it to a WordPress site by creating a subdomain with a One-Click Wordpress install, building the new WP site, swapping the site URLS, and finally deleting the subdomain.

I attempted to follow directions found here which first had me changing the URL in the subdomain’s WP dashboard general settings. This immediately locked me out of the WP dashboard. The next steps were to change folder names multiple times in FTP which I did, but I was still locked out. So I reversed the folder name changes and found another set of directions which had me creating an empty folder with my domain’s address and doing a one-click WP install and then changing the URL in the WP dashboard last instead of first. But I was already locked out and then the install failed.

So I ended up on chat support with DH expecting a challenging fix, but the resolution was to simply go to the Manage Domains page and click the Edit link on the domain and point it to the subdomain. Within five minutes I was able to log back into my WP dashboard using the domain as the log in address.

All appears to be working, but it seems too easy compared to all the steps in found here on the forums. My question is: by pointing the domain to the subdomain have I accomplished what I set out to do or is it just redirecting traffic to the subdomain? It does not seem logical that I could simply delete the subdomain now since the domain is pointing to it.

At this point, I’m thinking it might be easier to just to start over by deleting my site and suffering the consequences of it being down for a couple days while I build a new WP site. So if I decide to go this route, my second question is this: What is the best way to clear the site for a clean install of WP?

Thank you! Again, my apologies if any of this is too confusing to make heads or tails of.

I have a second iWeb created site that I would like to accomplish the same thing. But before I attempt it, I want to get the process down! Thanks again!

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you did but if it works, you’re good :slight_smile: Maybe share the exact domain names so others can see if there are any visible issues.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.