Domain setup

I have a domain hosted with EasyDNS. Is it possible to have a website hosted on my DreamHost account, but still have non-HTTP and FTP traffic forwarded to other IP?
I currently use the domain to direct traffic for use with RDP (windows remote desktop). I still need that to function.

My thoughts so far are that I’d have to have all traffic sent to my home connection then forward http/ftp traffic from my router to Dreamhost. But I’d rather not do that.

Ok, so I see now that I can add a new A record to EasyDNS’ dns settings that points to my home IP and have the other DNS entries point to my Dreamhost account.
All I’m wondering is what IP do I point to? My webserver is bugatti.
Or is there a better way to resolve this?

Are you doing this with domains and subdomains? Your setup should only have one “A” record for your top level domain and it’s kind of bad form to only host www.

You can find your IP address in the panel under “Domains>Manage Domains”. Click on “DNS” for the domain of interest and you’ll see the DNS entries at the Dreamhost nameservers. This will give you the IP address of your web server.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Yeah I want all the dns requests to be directed to my dreamhost account except for the new sub-domain.
Right now there are two A records, “domain.com” and “*.domain.com”.

What I’m wondering now is, how do I host email?
I guess I should explain that I can’t just use Dreamhost for DNS because I need to use Dynamic DNS.
Do I just “Add New Domain/Sub Domain” then go in and change the DNS records on the DreamHost panel to EasyDNS’ nameservers?
Or can I just direct the MX records? On EasyDNS there is an option for that but I don’t see a way to handle this on the Dreamhost panel.

*Edit: Actually I think this is what I’ll have to do. Otherwise HTTP requests to the server won’t be directed if there isn’t an entry for the domain. Is this right?

Thanks for the help.

As an alternative, let me tell you what I’ve done.

I have designated Dreamhost’s nameservers as the nameservers for my domain. I have a dynamic IP as lensmanshouse.dyndns.org. I then have a CNAME entry in my dns here at Dreamhost that points lensmanshouse.mydomain.tld to lensmanshouse.dyndns.org.

This enables me to have web and ftp hosting at lensmanshouse.mydomain.tld which is a dynamic IP address assigned by my cable provider, but have Dreamhost do its thing as the nameserver for my domain.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Hmm, that’s a nice setup. I think I’ll go with that once my subscription to easydns runs out in a year.
But until then I’d like to use easydns. Can you think of a way to make this work for me? What do I have to do on the dreamhost side of things?

I think I’m still confused by what domains you’re hosting here vs. which domain(s) you’re hosting at home. I think I got that you want to do mail hosting here.

I know it’s hard to bite the bullet, but have you considered switching to the Dreamhost-centric model now even though you’re still paying at easydns? Can you use the credits for some other purpose?

Sorry, I should be more clear.
There is just one domain. I want that domain, all subdomains, and email to be hosted with DH, except for one subdomain (remote.mydomain.tld).
As it was, I simply had the A record pointing to my home ip.

Right now I have 3 A record’s mydomain.tld, *.mydomain.tld and remote.mydomain.tld. The remote domain is pointing to my home IP and redirects fine. The first two records are pointing to my DH server’s IP and that is working fine except that I get an error when I visit the domain.
"Site Temporarily Unavailable

error id: “bad_httpd_conf” "

On my DH panel I added the domain via the Add Domain page.

I guess if I can’t get it to work I may have no choice. No I can’t exchange the credits. I’d like to see if I can get this working this way, if not only as a learning experience.

[quote]Right now I have 3 A record’s mydomain.tld, *.mydomain.tld and remote.mydomain.tld. The remote domain is pointing to my home IP and redirects fine. The first two records are pointing to my DH server’s IP and that is working fine except that I get an error when I visit the domain.
"Site Temporarily Unavailable

error id: “bad_httpd_conf” "

On my DH panel I added the domain via the Add Domain page.[/quote]
On your web panel under “Domains>Manage Domains” you’ll find a table of all your domains and subdomains (you may have to click on the control/button to show subdomains. Click on the DNS link for the domain or subdomain you’re interested in. That will take you to a screen which will show the DNS entries for that domain/subdomain. This will give you the IP address for each domain or subdomain you want to host at Dreamhost.

One thing to keep in mind is that each domain or subdomain hosted at Dreamhost could be assigned a different IP address, though many of your domains/subdomains will end up with the same ones. Thus, the * record at easydns is likely to not work for every subdomain.

One experiment you might try is adding NS records for * with ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com as value. Normally, you wouldn’t use a wildcard but would create NS records for each of the subdomains you wanted to host at Dreamhost. I’d be interested in hearing whether wildcard delegation works.

It’s working now.
It was as you thought, the IP address for the newly added domain got hosted behind a different IP.

domain.tld and *.domain.tld both work now, but other domains do not work.
I think for a wildcard entry to work, the receiving HTTP server needs to be setup to accept them and then re-direct to the root domain.

In your last paragraph, are you saying that I should do this on the DH panel? Create a new domain and put in *.domain.tld as the entry, then set the NS’ to DH’s?

That won’t work; you will need to contact support and ask them to implement wildcard DNS for you (and they may, or may not, do it).

–rlparker

What do you mean when you say that *.domain.tld works? I thought you had that as a wildcard subdomain entry at easydns, but I’m having doubts about my conclusion now…

Thanks rlparker, I’ll try calling them.

Re: Lensman
Sorry I’ve had a head cold all week so I keep making mistakes when I try to explain things.
www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com work fine, but other subdomains do not work.

Yes there was a *. entry at easydns, but I’ve since deleted it. Now there are just two Host entries. mydomain.com and remote.mydomain.com.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

I don’t really think you want to have a wildcard DNS entry either at easydns or Dreamhost…

Would it kill you to add entries at both easydns and dreamhost for every subdomain you want to host?