Domain setup

hi i want to set up a second domain. My plan is ‘My Crazy Domain Insane’ and it says i have 1/3 domains. but when i apply for a domain it asks to pay. i thought i would get it for free? please help.

Perhaps you’re mixing two different things - domain registration and domain hosting. Domain registration determines who gets to use the domain, and domain hosting provides the resources when using it. When it says you have “1/3 domains” it means DreamHost will provide services for two more domains without having to upgrade your plan. However if the domain you wish to add is not already registered somewhere, DreamHost may offer to register it for you. Unless you see the words “free domain registration” you’ll have to pay to register it before you can actually use it (have it hosted). And when you see what comes with the Crazy Domain Insane plan, it says you get 1 free domain registration.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS

what if i deleted my old domain and create another one? will i be able to do that?

Deleting a domain would only decrease the number of domains being hosted on your plan. It would not “unregister” the domain and give back your free domain registration. The domain would still be registered to you until you let the registration expire or hand it off to someone else. You may not be able to delete a domain if you registered it through DreamHost. Here are the appropiate DreamHost KBase items:
How do I delete a domain from my account?
Can I change / delete my domain name (URL)?

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Dreamhost’s hosting prices are very fair. Their domain registry prices are awful however, not in opinion, in fact.

10 bucks is pretty much a common yearly rate to register domains today.

10 years X $25.00 = $250.00 (dreamhost)

10 years X $10.00 = $100.00 (somewhere else)

One stop shopping is hardley worth a 150% markup (I’m sure most people would agree). I’m amazed anyone registers domains through dreamhost.

Perhaps DH’s fees are high by US standards, I do not know; but I do know by Aussie standards, DH’s fees are low. That is why I have purposely chosen to register three domains through DH.
-Marsbar

I don’t think Aussies are prevented in any way from using the same low-price registration services (as low as $8 per domain or less) that U.S. residents do.

– Dan

G’day Dan. You are absolutely right. But my point is that I am so used to seeing expensive rates over here, I am happy just to find a reputable host (in the form of DH) offering the services I need at a fraction of what I would otherwise have to pay in Australia.

Also some folks here are reluctant to deal with overseas-based companies, for different reasons. A lot of the ‘foreign’ offerings just seem too good to be true.

I am always looking for ways to save a few bucks, so do let me know who is offering USD8.00 per domain (this is a serious question).

-Marsbar

http://www.godaddy.com/ 0 they’re $8.95 with a `sale’ on .com domains for $7.95 and are a large company so can be trusted… i’ve used them for a domain or two, good prices. Sorry DH, but you are an ickle bit over priced for domains…

www.rawkstar.net

No offense taken, and I think that discussing registrars and their prices is certainly on topic for this forum.

I do imagine that we’ll have a sale on domain registrations and / or drop registration prices at some point… that’s just a guess, though, and not based on any “insider” knowledge. Also, when we start registering directly as an ICANN accredited registrar (any year now), our cost per domain drops a few bucks, which would probably give us an incentive to drop the price further.

[quote]Also, when we start registering directly as an ICANN accredited registrar (any year now), our cost per domain drops a few bucks, which would probably give us an incentive to drop the price further.

[/quote]

Oh … I THOUGHT domainitron.com had been accredited for quite a while! So you’re still reselling for Open … cows? I don’t want to mention too much of DreamHost’s competitors, but some hosting companies are actually using cheap or even free domain registration as a loss leader to draw new clients. :slight_smile:

[color=#CC0000]name[/color]slave
Domain Registration, Web Hosting & Search Engine Optimization

I’ve never used GoDaddy. There are no extra fees or requirements involved with registering with them and hosting elsewhere, are there?

In Dreamhost’s defense, they do provide all of us with a free domain registration… I really do appreciate that perk. I would like to see the price go down, though. I’m sure they’d make up the difference in income in quantity: there’s about 10 domain names I’ve wanted to buy, but couldn’t justify the $25 a pop.

[quote]Oh … I THOUGHT domainitron.com had been accredited for quite a
while! So you’re still reselling for Open … cows?

[/quote]

We have been ICANN accredited for quite some time, actually - but due mostly to a lack of time we haven’t set up the implementation yet, and are still going through OpenSRS. I’m not sure on the timetable for this, but I’d like to see it soon as we’d save a bit of cash that way.

As for domain name pricing: We’ve dropped them before, and we’ll almost certainly drop them again. We’re not especially interested in playing the “loss leader” game (a lot of companies have been sunk by taking that too far), but we’ll definitely try to keep pricing fair.

Basically, our pricing is pretty good for those who have just a handful of domains and want everything handled in one place. For those who need to register large numbers of domains and don’t need the hand-holding that comes with doing everything with us, using a 3rd party registrar is likely the best way to go.

[quote]but some hosting companies are actually using cheap or even
free domain registration as a loss leader to draw new clients. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

To some degree we do that, with our free domain registration for the life of an account.

However, there’s something to be said for not putting all your eggs into attracting only people whose main criteria for purchasing a service is the price. We have no illusions about competing in the super-duper-cheap hosting/registration market, and are not at all interested in going down that route.

Sign-ups in general aren’t a problem, either. We’ve made a point of trying to grow organically, not taking in too many clients at once. We’re actually pretty happy with our sign-ups right now, and while we could always take on more we’ve found that it’s much more cost effective to focus on retention (I read somewhere that it costs about 5x more to gain a new customer than retain an old one in most businesses - I believe it).

Barring the occasional WildNCrrrrazySale™ we run (mostly) for research purposes, we don’t really do a whole lot to bring in new customers. Our advertising budget is fairly miniscule these days, and most of our sign-ups come from direct referrals or DreamBook users looking for hosting.

This strategy may seem a bit boring, admittedly, but we’re still here and a number of our former competitors aren’t. Maybe slow and steady does occasionally win the race! :>

Just a little insight from the wild and wacky world of web hosting…

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin