Domain set up problem

hi,
i would really love some help here.
i had my blog perfect under tswa.us/blog.

well i wanted the domain to point to it so i wouldnt have to move anything at all around…

that wouldn’t work…control panel said can’t point to same domain…then i set it up to point to tswa.us/blog/index.php...that didn’t work.

so i decdied to copy the blog directory into the main directory of tswa.us but that did nt work so deleted those went back to see the site at http :www.tswa.us/blog and i can’t get to it anymore.
can you please help. also i had a forum in another folder and now that won’t come up either.
thanks.

Chunky

What blogging software are you using? WordPress? Did you do a one-click install or did you install it yourself manually or did you move it from another host?

[quote]well i wanted the domain to point to it so i wouldnt have to move anything at all around…

that wouldn’t work[/quote]
What exactly did you do to try to get this to happen.?

What exactly did you do to try to set this up?

How did you do the copy?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, but if you want to get back to where you were, it will help to make sure we’ve undid all the changes that you made in previous steps. When in this chain of events was the last time your blog worked in its original location?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

i used the one click install of wordpress and it was perfect until i started messing with the control panel manage domains area.

to get it to point to the blog folder i changed under the fully hosted setting the web directory from tswa.us to tswa.us/blog

when it wouldn’t point directly to the blog by typing the domain in the browser, i then copied the contents of the blog diectory into the main directory of tswa.us since that didn’t help i decided maybe i should delete what i just did and try to get the tswa.us/blog visable again.

i did the copy using my leechftp program and didn’t think to use the webftp at dh. i have deleted those now and the only ones that remain are the ones that were in the original blog folder… i can’t see my forum anymore either which was in its own folder as well. it was working fine before i started trying to get the domain to point to the blog.

Chunky

Did you set it back? (sorry, basic question, but it’s key and I don’t want to waste your time with more complicated solutions if it’s as simple as this)

Also, have you verified that all the files are as you left them back in your /blog directory?

BTW, at some point, it may make sense to restore from backup, but it doesn’t quite seem necessary yet.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

yes, i set it back to fully host tswa.us

i didn’t touch the blog folder or the forum folder so it should be pristine.

Chunky

looks like dh support has done some magic and now i can see my original stuff but the question still remains…how can i successfully point to the blog directory for my domain.
can this be done ?

Chunky

How important is keeping the “One-Click” status of your WordPress installation? If you move it, you’ll have to do the upgrades yourself rather than through the One-Click system. The alternative is to back up all the content and to do a new one-click installation. Note that you’ll have to install all the plugins again.

If you don’t care about the “one-click” status, you can follow the instructions here for moving your WordPress installation.

I’ve done it both ways.

thank you for you input. i remain disappointed that i could not have a forum and a blog under the same domain. both were in their own directories. i could see each one until i wanted the domain to point to the blog and have the blog link to the forum. well, since it was easier for me to set up the forum, i created A subdomain and now linking to that and that link works fine. now i am having admin problems with the forum, but that is another topic. thank you for all of your assistance.

Chunky

But you did have that, right? I’m not clear on what you were trying to achieve - or exactly what your situation was except to say that your blog was in the /blog subdirectory of the domain and that you had a forum. Was the forum in the web root?

Do you mean to say that you want both the forum and the blog to be in the root or something like that?

no, i just wanted to be able to type the address to my domain and my blog would be there. then i would have a link on my blogroll to my forum.

once the blog and forum were set up, if I wanted to view the blog I simply went to the address www.tswa.us/blog and if I wanted to go to the forum, I used the address www.tswa.us/tswa_forum. All was well. Then I wanted my domain to point to the blog (and I already had the blog point to the forum, successfully)

So I went to the admin panel and changed my domain pointing from tswa.us to tswa.us/blog and all I could see was the home page content no side bar and without css and forum has not been seen since. So I tried the other settings, redirect, all of them and I kept getting an error…can’t redirect to yourself.
then i changed the setting back to the way it was before i went to the settings and my site was never the same.

now support has revived my blog and it my blog is at the domain address, but the forum would never display again.
i ended up creating a subdomain and installing a forum there and linking to that via the blogroll.

this should have worked though right ?

i am now having some problems with the forum. like i was able to set it up and add categories, but now i get a page not displayed when i try to log in…have opened a ticket on this.

Chunky

You can have your blog at www.tswa.us and your forum at www.tswa.us/forum. You just need to be careful and meticulous in your setup.

If you want to run WordPress in the web root and a forum in a subdirectory, you also need to do some special configuration in your blog if you use permalinks in WordPress because the permalink functionality in WordPress remaps “subdirectories” (in .htaccess, I think).

Your alternative would be to leave the two webapps in separate subdirectories and just have a redirect in your web root to redirect to your blog. This seems like the simplest solution if you want to keep one domain and can live with www.tswa.us/blog on a redirect.

ok…got it…that helps A LOT. your explanation is so good that i actually understand it.

Thank you !!

Chunky

Happy to help!

But if you’ve kinda got things running the way they are, sometimes it’s best not to fool with it! :slight_smile: