Domain resolving problem

Hi,
We currently have a domain that works. We have another domain elsewhere and we must keep it there. We pointed a subdomain “blog.otherdomainname.com” to the same IP as the “domainhostedwithDH.com” but it yields a “bad_httpd_conf” error. I can’t point it to the “domainhostedwithDH.com” instead of the IP for SOE purposes.

I’m assuming the error listed is accurate and that it is due to the httpconf file not having a resolve to the proper directory that the “domainhostedwithDH.com” is located in.

If this is not the case, any other ideas?

I submitted 2 support requests this week and received neither response nor resolution.

Is there a phone number I can call? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

chicken

Two ideas. Try using a Aliases (CNAME) within your DNS.

for example:

Alias “blog.otherdomainname.com” redirects to “domainhostedwithDH.com

‘CNAME’ records make one name an alias for another. The alias then gets all the properties of the original name. Aliases can cause problems. So if in doubt do not use them.

or…

login into your DH panel and edit the DNS for domainhostedwithDH.com and setup a custom wildcard using CNAME type

*.domainhostedwithDH.com

Thanks for the ideas.

1. I can’t point to the “domainhostedbyDH.com” for SOE reasons… ie google… otherwise I think it would work.

2)Will that work? This is coming from another domain not with DH. I’m pretty sure that would only work with “subdomain.domainhostedwithDH.com

Have you added blog.otherdomainname.com to the DreamHost hosting system via Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain ? This will be required so that Apache ‘knows’ it is supposed to handle the sub-domain.

You will also need to add the parent domain (otherdomainname.com) to the DreamHost system before you will be allowed to add the sub-domain, but this will not affect the hosting of the parent domain elsewhere, it is purely a work-around to allow you to add the sub-domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

you are right, kill the wildcard idea.

I need to be sure… The other domain is at a tier one hosting company and DNS for it can not be screwed up.

You are telling me that I can register the domain that way and not be making any DNS entries? If it is only a mod to the http_conf file then I’ll feel safe doing so. If not there is no way I can take the risk. Mark, I assume you work for DH? I would appreciate a positive answer from DH just because I’m neurotic about bringing down a production site without knowing what I’m doing for sure. Could you PM me a phone number?

No, I am just a regular customer. As ardco said; the best way to obtain an official response is to lodge a support request.

Well, you aren’t ‘registering’ the domain by doing this, you are just adding it to the DreamHost hosting system. As I understand it, nothing you do at DreamHost can affect the DNS records for the parent domain, as long as you leave the name servers for the parent domain as they are at the registrar and don’t point them to the DreamHost name servers.

Firstly, let me confirm exactly what it is you are trying to do. If I understand you correctly, you have “otherdomainname.com” registered and hosted elsewhere, you wish to host “blog.otherdomainname.com” here at DreamHost and have it mirror the content at “domainhostedwithDH.com”, but you do not want to point directly to “domainhostedwithDH.com”, using a CNAME for example, because of SEO considerations? (*whew, that was a mouthful :slight_smile: ).

If I have that correct, then this is how I would do it…

1…Add “otherdomainname.com” to the DreamHost system via Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-domain in the panel. Once again, this will not affect the hosting of the parent domain elsewhere, this step is only required so we can add the sub-domain without error.

2…Add “blog.otherdomainname.com” to the DreamHost system via the panel and set it to mirror “domainhostedwithDH.com

3…Obtain the IP address assigned to “blog.otherdomainname.com” by going to Domains -> Manage Domains and clicking the small [DNS] link next to the sub-domain. The IP address can be read from the main A-Record for the sub-domain.

4…Take the IP address obtained from step 3 and use it to create an A-Record for the sub-domain at the parent domains registrar.

Note1: The IP address assigned to the sub-domain can change at any time as DreamHost moves things around, you will need to keep on top of this and modify the A-Record as required.

Note2: I have not personally tried the above procedure, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Once again, I am only a customer here, for an official response submit a support request via the panel.

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

mark, I had the same thought before. I thought you were a staff of DH because of your professional replies. :wink:

I know you are a customer like us. But you are one with full knowledge and are always ready to help others

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Thanks for the kind words Nathan, I am not sure I deserve them, there are others on the forum more helpful than myself, but thanks anyway. :wink:

Mark

yep. I’ve learnt a lot in this forum. tons of thanks to you, rlparker, wholly…

sorry for those that i don’t remember the names, I’m not good at memorying english names. :slight_smile:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].