Domain Registration - Private info

If I register a domain with Dreamhost, is there a way to make my information private? I know Network Solutions provides a service to do this.

Based on previous postings there is not. BUT I wouldn’t use Network solutions. Givce GoDaddy (www.godaddy.com) a try. Much cheaper (The Hidden domain will be about the same as the public domain w/ anyone else)

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting

I’ll echo this reply.

Dreamhost has no interest in providing this as a service, so you’re going to have to look elsewhere.

I’ve used GoDaddy’s service and been pleased. Right now a year’s domain registration with proxy registration is $16.90… that’s a pretty good deal!

Network Solutions may be a bit pricy, but they’ve been in business longer than anybody else. And I’ve had some bad luck with other registrars not telling me a domain was about to expire and selling off to advertizing. I register all of my domains through them, and reccomend to clients as well.

-Matttail

Network Solutions has done many questionable things over the years (Business practices) and the less money I can put in their coffers the better.

I’ve used goDaddy for several years, and have been very happy with them.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting

Always keep track yourself of when your domains expire; you should never rely on registrars or hosting providers to do this for you. It can be as simple as keeping a text file on your desktop with the expiration dates, or putting it in a spreadsheet or in your computerized datebook or something.

– Dan

Depends on what you want to keep private. If you don’t like having your real email address up on whois for spammers to harvest, take a look at http://www.myprivacy.ca/.

Kathy

perl_lady on Yahoo! IM

Qutoe from godaddy.com:

“ICANN is the international governing body for all domain names. ICANN requires every registrar, including GoDaddy.com, to maintain a publicly accessible WHOIS directory displaying all contact information for all domain names registered. That means your personal information — your name, home address, phone number and email address Eare made available to anyone who wants to see it Eand it’s available 24 hours a day, everyday. Your personal information is exposed to spammers, scammers and a whole host of unsavory characters.”

Okay I don’t really understand this. Who has access to this “WHOIS” directory and ICANN? If it’s a goverment thing then I doubt anyone can say “yeah give me all the info for such and such site” without going through proper channels. It’s illegal to give away a person’s personal information without their permission first…

And why would DreamHost not protect it’s customers by keeping their info private? They’d be a lousy company if they didn’t.

is confused

You can access the WHOIS info on a number of sites; I’ve put an interface into it in my own site:

http://domains.dan.info/

Type any domain name into the input form on that page, and you can see the WHOIS info on it.

Yes, this is a privacy invasion, but it’s a policy that’s been in place since the ancient days of the Internet, from an era when most domain names were owned by institutions like universities that didn’t mind people knowing their addresses, and nobody but computer geeks knew how to look up this info in the first place. Nowadays, it’s the copyright and trademark lobby that’s fighting to prevent any tightening of privacy, because they like being able to look up potential infringers this way.

– Dan

Okay, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. Now when I have a registered domain with DH, can I go to a site such as godaddy.com and make it private AFTER the domain has already been registered? Or am I pretty much screwed? :s

If you transfer your domain to a registrar like GoDaddy and get the private registration, you’ll most likely stop NEW harvesting of your information, but the genie is out of the bottle because some marketers already have your data.

Also keep in mind whatever the info is listed in the WHOIS is the owner. If another company has their info there to make yours private, they technically own the domain.

I say just change the whois information yourself. Dreamhost itself says they don’t care what you do with it, although, technically, “they” say (whoever they are) that you are supposed to have the correct information, why I don’t know and I could really care less. They aren’t the ones who have to worry about freaks out there finding out where they live. I certainly wouldn’t pay anyone to keep my information private. It seems a bit rediculous to pay someone to put their info there when you can change it for yourself. I changed mine, although I did leave my web address listed “just in case” someone did need to contact me.

You’re about as funny as a crotch–Archie Bunker

Putting fake contact info could backfire on you in a number of ways, if there’s ever a problem with the domain. If you forget your password with the registrar, you might never be able to regain control of the domain if it doesn’t have real contact info for you in its record; similarly, if somebody else hacks into it and steals the domain from you, you might not be able to prove you really own it to get it back. Also, if somebody challenges the domain as violating their trademark, you might not even get the notification of the case, so you’ll lose by default even if you’ve got a good defense, and even if you try to defend yourself your use of fake info might be seen as evidence of “bad faith” by a judge or panelist.

– Dan

Doesn’t have to be fake, just smart. It costs so little to rent a P.O. box, and this can be used for all internet contact info. Set up one e-mail addy just for domain contact info, and only allow your registrars messages into your inbox. No one needs to have your home address, or even your home phone number (callwave is a good service).

~Chell

When you register a private domain through GoDaddy (the service is called domains by proxy), they provide you with some documentation that serves as your proof, should you ever need it, that the domain DOES belong to you.