Domain registration privacy

I know about Dreamhost’s WHOIS privacy policy, but I want to be clear about something. Is there more than I’d need to do to block anyone from knowing who has registered/is operating a site? I’m working on an anonymous project for a client and need to have a totally anonymous set-up (it’s not sketchy, I promise - we just don’t want people to track who owns and operates the site). Can someone explain this stuff to me in really really basic terms? I just want to know what else is necessary - and whether or not it’s even Dreamhost related - when it comes to actually registering and running the site (I know all the other pseudo-hacker IP blocking stuff).

Thanks to anyone who can help us out!

[quote]I know about Dreamhost’s WHOIS privacy policy, but I want to be clear about something. Is there more than I’d need to do to block anyone from knowing who has registered/is operating a site? I’m working on an anonymous project for a client and need to have a totally anonymous set-up (it’s not sketchy, I promise - we just don’t want people to track who owns and operates the site). Can someone explain this stuff to me in really really basic terms? I just want to know what else is necessary - and whether or not it’s even Dreamhost related - when it comes to actually registering and running the site (I know all the other pseudo-hacker IP blocking stuff).

Thanks to anyone who can help us out![/quote]
ICANN regulations about such things require that appropriate contact information be posted in the WHOIS listing. When you have the registrar use its privacy feature – whatever it might be – they are, in effect, setting up a private proxy address for you. It will still be possible for people to contact you via email if they have legitimate purpose to do so, but no third party can get ahold of this information to use for nefarious purposes.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com
[b]My DreamHost Promo Plan—Use the code: [color=#CC0000]ROCKS[b][/color]

You could put it on a unique IP, if there are any other sites sharing the current IP that could be linked to it.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Is there any easy way to do that? Sorry I kinda suck at this stuff.

It’s just a domain add-on. It’s $3.95/month, unless your account has a credit for one.

You can check this section of the panel to see if you have one. Scroll down to where it says, “Your Account Provides:” and see if it’s listed there.

If you want to assign a unique IP to the domain, just go to the Manage Domains section of the panel and click on the “Add IP” link by the domain.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Well, there’s some amount of anonymity vs. ownership to consider. Is it you who wants to remain anonymous or your client?

First off, as Gene says, what DreamHost offers is domain privacy. This means that legitimate communication can reach you. OTOH, I don’t know whether legal communication can be transmitted via email and so I don’t know whether there is some recourse for people who had a legitimate need to know the registered owner of the site - in order to serve you, say. Oh, remember that I have no legal expertise.

Anyway, I’m just guessing here but there’s always the idea of creating some additional indirection by creating a separate legal entity to register the site, etc.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

While there is truth, and value, in the other answers you have been given, understand that there is no such thing as a “totally anonymous site” on the internet short of establishing shell corporations and other traditional entity masking ploys, or just lying about your or your company’s identity (which is, of course, a violation of ICANN regulations and can jeopardize the registration of your site).

Registrar provided “private proxies” and the like offer some protection from the casual whois browser, but will not shield you from legal process or other traditional investigative techniques and methodologies designed to identify the “legal” entity of a site owner.

How close you can actually come to achieving a “totally anonymous” web presence depends entirely upon your own sophistication with records obfuscation and, as previously mentioned, if successful, jeopardizes your registration. :wink:

–rlparker

I think rlparker has put its very eloquently indeed. Just to expand on that, if your project is a higher value project then you can consider setting up and anonymous shell company via a proxy international bank. I do have a few which list the company on the domain reg details but the company is no way pointed to me, rather it is pointed to my local bank. The bank I use for this service is Standard Chartered.

This set-up is also advantageous with regard to tax shielding as it is set up in tax free zones like the British Virgin Islands. The fee is quite acceptable at USD$1000 per year for a company.

• Simple Life -

Why would you pay $1000/year just so you can host a site on $8/month hosting? :stuck_out_tongue:

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!

When you absolutely require “anonymous ownership”, and depending upon why you require it, $1,000.00 a year may actually be "small change! :open_mouth:

People, and companies, routinely spend a lot more - the $8.00 a month may be all that the hosting demands - it’s the “anonymous” part that gets expensive (and *expensive" is a very relative term) :wink:

–rlparker