Domain reg and hosting

hi, on another account in dreamhost my friend registered a domain name that i was going to host on my account. I thought i would have to log in and change a few settings for it be work but as soon as i started to host the same domain in my hosting account the registered name lead right to it. I understand the DNS pointers are the same throughout dreamhost but does that mean in theory that if anyone anywhere had an unused domain name laying around in and account someone else could set up and host the domain from a completly different account without having any access to the account the domain was registered with?

Yes, if that name was registered at dreamhost and used the dreamhost web servers.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yikes?

I suspect that DreamHost will not be pleased with you if you do this.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

If, in fact that “anyone anywhere” had set the nameservers with their registrar to DreamHost’s DNS servers, then, sure!

Leaving DNS set up to point to a nameserver where you do not have the domain set-up is very careless. :wink:

–rlparker

Exactly. It is always a good idea to add the domain to the DreamHost hosting system before changing the name servers over. This will prevent any potential ‘hijacking’ of the domain by other DreamHost customers.

Mark

Web Hosting Reviews | DreamHost Promo Code

thanks, its good to know. I was just curious because when things good happen by accident it usually means i have done something wrong :slight_smile: